Challenger Life Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just got back from the shop. Prior, I had spoken with two mechanics that I knew and both said that BEST MUFFLER SHOP in Las Vegas was a great shop and where they had their personal work done. My only concern with a reso only delete was there were many comments about raspiness and crackle on down shift. I did not want to take that chance and willing to spend a couple of bucks.

So I called and spoke with DAVID, a younger person who is VERY knowledgeable and they have done hundreds of Challengers at their shop. It was nice to speak with a very experienced geek, regardless that our areas of expertise were in different fields. I explained what I was looking for.

He said the new Magnaflows were what I wanted and space permitting, wanted to install the 18" stainless straight through, offset mufflers and then straight back to the rear. He quoted me $400.00 for the job and I went to their shop to confirm we could do the 18" version. He said the 18" would be much less sound inside than the typical 14", but produce a deeper growl since they were larger. He also said the Magnaflows were quiet until pushed. We confirmed there was plenty of room and I gave them the green light.

We all were on the same page as to the fact that I wanted the job done right the first time and basically, that was their motto from the beginning. They were courteous and allowed me back in the shop the whole time. What a pleasure. Randy did all the work, he first removed the stock system in such a way that if I wanted to re-install it, I could. He then did his mock up with simple spot welds and had me do a complete inspection prior to the final welds. They created custom brackets just like the factory install and Randy was as anal about doing things right as I was. Have I already stated this was an unexpected pleasure? The job took about 1.5 hours to complete and there was no variation on the price. The sound was nice, deep and not "Ricey" at all. Yes, it is a V6 and at idle, was a soft hum but really not much sound to begin with. We warmed her up a bit and then punched it and it sounded great. Next, the road test.

I then took the car south on the 15 from downtown Vegas and drove down to Primm for a quick 70 mile round trip. Basically, you won't hear the mufflers at all unless you are accelerating and when you get on it, they growl like a Lion. Drone? What Drone? Yes, could I hear the engine more, but, I took a db reading before and after and the db only increased 5db when driving the 15 in the city, during rush hour, which is when I took the "Before" reading on the way down for exact comparison purposes.

I put the cruise on 80 most of the way down once I got out of town and you could barely tell I had just installed a new system. I got on it a couple of times, but basically wanted to baby her for a few miles on cruise. On the way back, I put her in Sport Mode and as usual, there were plenty of people coming from LA to Vegas who were mega speeding, so I took advantage, let them get ahead and then started playing around. Once the VVT had a chance to re-calibrate for high speed, I then was punching her up and down for several miles. She freaking rocked and the power of this new V6 combined with the VVT sounded deep, full of growl and to put it simply, fantastic. Yes, it's a V6, but I really just wanted to add some "Days of Old" to the car and this modification accomplished just that. It was EXACTLY what I wanted. They also told me to expect the sound to get deeper after 1k miles and to expect less inside sound.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my requests on this board. Your comments were the most valuable. When I have the time, I will take some clips inside the car and if possible, someone traveling next to the car. There is no question in my mind this was the correct solution for anyone who has a 2016 SXT Plus, with a 3.6 VVT, 8 Speed Auto and a True Dual Exhaust. I did not want to wake the neighbors, but desired to have that "Growl" from the old days when I was younger driving my Mach 1 Mustang back in High School. Isn't that why some us who are older purchased this car to begin with?

I highly recommend BEST MUFFLER SHOP OF LAS VEGAS. 33 N 21st St, Las Vegas, NV 89101, (702) 385-1934 Talk to David.

NO I am not affiliated with these guys in any way, but will always pump up a quality service provider and excellent experience. Those of us in any service oriented field know that we never hear about the good work done. Simple Pay It Forward, Karma stuff.

I look forward to any meet-ups in the Vegas area and sharing some stories over an adult beverage. For those interested and in the area, I am up for a meet and you can hear for yourself. I live in the southern part of town and the 15S is just a couple of minutes away.

Thanks again,

Eric

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds just what I've been looking for. I like Magnaflow cause of their growl and quite sound... Sounds like you hit just the right combination makes sense to me... And no drone even better... Do you have a number... Part or series on the 18's...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They installed (2) of the #11265 18" Offset Mufflers and custom bent the pipe and brackets back. These were installed where the factory TUBES once resided. There was plenty of room and clearance when done correctly. Nothing was going to be tight at all. Good Job Dodge.

David at Best Muffler Shop had installed many of the 14" mufflers, but knew they were loud and with drone. He thought the 18" would create the end result, but could not confirm on the 2016.

What is really nice and important, is to let the system warm up because when hot is how these are tuned to begin with, not cold. So basically, after about 10 minutes of driving is when these mufflers become purrrrfect. On cold start, they are also nice in that, yes, you know you installed a performance muffler system, and you will hear them on slow acceleration, no question, even a bit of drone at low shifts. But once they are hot, you will only hear your engine a bit, which is desired and really hear it, when you get on it.

The last couple of days after work, I've been taking a one-hour trip from Southern Highlands out Blue Diamond West to the 159, through Red Rock Canyon and then back down to Southern Highlands via the 215 & 15S.

I have now put about 350 miles on the system and when on cruise control 55-85, you won't know they are there. As a matter of fact, my Fiance was in the car this weekend while we were running some errands. I did not tell her I recently installed a performance muffler system. She did not even notice and definitely would have said something. The only comment was "You're going to get a ticket...." after I stepped on it. A WIN/WIN LOL

I had a small block '72, 302 Mustang back in the day with performance headers and I think Hush Thrush mufflers. This setup reminds me of that except now, it is in disguise until I step on it.

AND...for anyone in the Las Vegas area who wants to hear for themselves, reach out.

·
Super Moderator
5,444 Posts
just understand, the 5.7 auto is the one with the drone with the MDS. you can actually do away with the drone by going into autos stick and manually use 5th gear. this does away with the drone. the 6.1 5 speed auto had no MDS so no drone there, not sure on the 6.4 if the auto trans has MDS........now on a v6, don't matter if it is a 3.5 or the 3.6, there is hardly any drone, didn't have any on my 2009 3.5 and even on my wife's 2010- 3.6 SE rally, no drone with with the 5 speed trans.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The difference being that I have a 2016 SXT Plus with the 8 Auto and basically, there was very little history about this exact configuration and I wanted to share my experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yea... My same experience... Thanks for the info "eze"... I'll be using the same configuration on my 2013 sxt... and by the way I thought it was the V6 owners that suffered from drone when exhaust mods have been done...

·
Super Moderator
5,444 Posts
the MDS is different on the v6 than it is with the v8's even though it does shut down a couple of cylinders when it goes into ECO mode. the 5.7 RT with the auto is the one with the worse drone, even with my solo exhaust, they have incorporated the j pipes in the rear in place of the resonators, they are adjustable to help tune out the drone or at least get rid of most of it.. it just takes some adjustments to get it right. my drone is not that bad, it is something I can live with.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just wondering what CAI or stock filter are you running... I got to thinking and some people with the same exhaust will experience drone when some won't... Could it be same exhaust but not same intake would make a difference. So my question is... whats on the intake side of your exhaust?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I now have 3k miles on the car. I took a trip up to Reno a few weeks ago. The muffler sound is just fine. I think the sound may have become more deep and that is Ok. I am not having any drone issues. I have the stock CAI and no other modifications.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Great... doing the same setup you've got this weekend... What kind of intake have you got... CAI, KN drop-in or stock filter...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ezevegas,

Newbie here....I just bought my SXT in January. Loving the car and am looking to upgrade the exhaust in the near future. Could you give me a little more detail on your setup?

Exact location of the magnaflow 11265's?
Did you do a res delete or are they still in the factory location?
Any other components installed with the 11265's?

Forgive me if I'm not quite understanding your setup based on your posts.... I'm very new to this. Lol

Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
The OP (ezevegas) hasn't been on here for a while... Think he was only on for a month... But I did his mod on my exhaust and it worked great... The Magnaflows go in the middle and you get rid of the resonators at the end before the tail pipe tips... Works great and theres no drone... Sound will also improve to a deeper growl as time goes on... Good luck with your mods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The OP (ezevegas) hasn't been on here for a while... Think he was only on for a month... But I did his mod on my exhaust and it worked great... The Magnaflows go in the middle and you get rid of the resonators at the end before the tail pipe tips... Works great and theres no drone... Sound will also improve to a deeper growl as time goes on... Good luck with your mods.
Awesome. Thanks. The one thing I've really been trying to avoid is the drone inside. I've been looking at going with the Magnaflow 10415 and leaving the resonators intact, but this sounds like it might be a better option.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
A step up if you want to spend the money is a catback exhaust... I just ordered the Solo performance system this afternoon to up grade... they're drone free and for a cat back system they've got the best price... Will post results later after installing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice.

I'm not sure I want to spend the coin for a whole system as I'm only planning on having it for 2-3 years before I trade it in on a new one, but I haven't yet ruled it out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yea... If that's your plan then go with the Magnaflows setup... You won't regret it and you'll get a good growl with no drone...

·
Super Moderator
5,444 Posts
A step up if you want to spend the money is a catback exhaust... I just ordered the Solo performance system this afternoon to up grade... they're drone free and for a cat back system they've got the best price... Will post results later after installing.
good choice, as I have a Solo system on my RT. 4 years running, sounds great!! My 1st challenger was an 3.5L SE, i had magnaflow on that one and had a nice sound also.

Reactions: shooterjgs
1 - 20 of 47 Posts