Challenger Life Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering where the resonator is and if anyone can point it out in a pic.
Thanks.
Also, what should removing the resonator cost (average) at an exhaust shop and will that improve sound?
Thanks...

·
Registered
136 Posts
the system on the right is a stock SE exhaust. the resonator is that big can at the very end with the tip. the system on the left is the stock R/T 6-speed exhaust. it is different than the auto system.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
the system on the right is a stock SE exhaust. the resonator is that big can at the very end with the tip. the system on the left is the stock R/T 6-speed exhaust. it is different than the auto system.

I still have my original SE exhaust also. and yes, the RT 6spd is different as the auto tranny only has one big muffler in the middle. I cut that out and Jack installed 2 magnaflows for me. and deleted my resonators.:thumbupleft:

·
Registered
136 Posts
also, the 6-speed exhaust uses 2 1/2" tubing and a H-pipe while the auto system uses 2 1/4" tubing and a X-pipe. the auto system uses that huge suitcase muffler. it is needed because of the MDS. when the engine drops 4 cylinders, the sound completely changes. the suitcase muffler is designed special to be really two systems into one case.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
I thought the RT Auto was also 2 1/2.... when I had it installed it looked like there was a gap about 1/4 of an inch between the pipes because we couldnt clamp it tight so we had to weld it together.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
ok, never noticed that part. thanks :thumbupright:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will deleting the resonator and going straight pipe to the end cause cabin drone?

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
only drone I get is under acceleration but it is minimal, something that I can live with as far as when I do get into the accelerator, but other than that, no drone at all crusing or even at slower speeds.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Hello,arent resonators a straight through design?,then how does the stock one work since it enters on the opposite side of where it exits?Also does anyone have a cutout illustration/diagram of the inside,so I can see? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
I can imagine that these are baffeled greatly to cut the sound down and make it go all through the resonator. but I sitlll have mine in one peice and dont plan on cutting to see how they are put together. Only thing I can think of is try to find one that has been removed and cut it open. I still have both the ones that came on the RT exhaust and the one that came on the SE exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
and yes the resonator for the SE are the same size used on the R/T's.

R/T automatic exhaust

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
I want to say that the RT pipes are 2 1/2" :think:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I want to say that the RT pipes are 2 1/2" :think:
I think that theyre 2.5 from mufflers to resos and 2.25 before.That would figure since the SE is 2.5 all the way back to the reso.My muffler people measured it.I guess those resos are only available in 2.5 in/out.I was considering that for my 2.25 Y split tailpipes instead of the 3.5 in rounds I put on that are 2.25 in/out w/2.25 inner core. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
np, I am going to do a drive by vid so I can hear what it sounds like roadside. will do that this weekend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts