Blastin Bob's | Page 3 | Challenger Life Forums

Blastin Bob's

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by CVMALink, Dec 18, 2010.

1. demonbydesign

demonbydesign New Member

Chuck, I gave it a once over with headphones. I have some first impressions but want to listen a couple more times to either confirm or deny those first impressions once I'm done work later. But I already will say...dude! Nice vids and THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Check back later tonight for all my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  2. demonbydesign

demonbydesign New Member

Ok Chuck. I've listened to the video 4 times now with headphones.

First though your video sound is really good! What camera is it? Made my vids seem like a blanket was over them. But then, I was using a camera that can take a video and not a true video recorder.

My first impression was that inside the car (in the seat next to you) I thought, "Man Chuck you shift smooth buddy and have a smooth way of talking". LOL!

Ok, Ok...

My first impression from this morning was that I liked the glass packs better cause it has a round, deep muscular tone. Again, much like the outside sounds you posted. I felt that the straight pipes have more "impression" on the ears, meaning more pronounced attack...again it's about the high end compared to the low notes.

So then I just re-listened a few more times.

Now my first impression is retained, except that I find it more "exciting" to hear your car when your really on it with the straight pipes. It's like it comes ALIVE!

So I think if it was me I'd have it with the straight pipes too. BUT I'd want to still do something to make it deeper. An in-between somehow. But I don't know if it's possible.

I went back to listen to a few of my vids cause I was thinking listening to yours, "Sounds like mine!" But they really don't. Mine is to my ears deeper and throatier, less high end bite than yours though and perhaps more muted and less presence than your Chuck. (and I have to thank you for making me like mine even more after re-listening to mine in comparison, please don't take that the wrong way either).

They are just 2 different animals. It's just the nature of a 5.7 vs 6.1 I suppose let alone the exhaust systems we chose.

Mine has drone FOR SURE, I don't detect it with yours...maybe a tiny bit at 6:35-6:39 mark?

Your BB with the straight pipes has an enthusiastic, high end, race-y note to it all. And while it doesn't necessarily suffer from lack of deepness, I wish it had more of that glass pack bottom note.

Hell, if I had the money to keep experimenting I would probably have just modded up my stock exhaust OR gone with the MBRP system cause I personally think Chris' R/T has the best sound I've heard. Yet, I'm also scared to lose any of my performance by changing now knowing how well Candy-O is running at the track with the Corsa.

It's a conundrum! LOL!

Thanks so much my man! The vids were awesome, informative, and you should think about what shiftin' was saying and put 'em on youtube for all to find helpful! Kudos! Great car with a great sounding exhaust overall...and the winner is...you! :rockout:

3. demonbydesign

demonbydesign New Member

^^^ Wait! I have a thought! (don't I always?)

If you put the glass packs back aren't they known for the material inside breaking down over time?

In other words, you can have that deeper tone initially, then it will morph into more of your current straight pipe tone. Another benefit is that it will slowly change tone and you'll have something new to always look forward too. Heck, you can even make MORE excuses to go drive the Silver Beast!

"Hun, I'm going out for a long drive to break down the packing material in my mufflers. Be back in a few!"

just sayin'

4. RTSilverBeast

RTSilverBeast Active Member

Demon - another great commentary and with the visual words that actually aloowed me to feel like I was there as you broke things down... wait I was there :p. You certainlly have a knack for breaking down tape. Maybe you could apply for the Houston Texans Defensive Coordinator job, they have an opening.

So a few thoughts back for you...

I am using a JVC Everio HDD camcorder. It is a small unit but does a really good job.

I thought about putting some initiial words in the post along the lines of... This is a video about exhaust comparision and all comments should be directed in that area only ;) When I watched the video and was doing the splicing i noticed several things; 1. the windshield was filthy dirty; 2. I still have the safety air bag stickers on the visors (which Ken Heartlandvideo pointed out to me last weekend that I should be removing those); 3. Firgured I would receive negative comments about racing the engine more than need be during a normal takeoff, meaning get better at feathering the clutch; 4. I made the comment about going 55mph around a curve because I cuaght myself saying on tape I was going over 70mph and then headed directly into a curve; etc. etc... BUT then i remembered I was posting this on CLife and not the Talk site.:rofl:

Thanks for the kind words about the my shifting (although my wife still gives me grief about her head snapping when she rides with me; she is just not used to being in a car with this amount of HP and torque) and I give presentations for a living so I have said a few words over the years ;)

I have to say that for me right now I will continue to run the straight pipes. I just like the added sound, even if the full bodied tones are not always present. I drink Miller Lite beer so I don't get the full body there either. The cool thing about these pipes is how easy it is to change them out. I built a set of ramps so I can run the rear end up and switch them out pretty quick which just gives me options and options are a good thing as we are always changing what we like.

No offense taken; glad it brought out continued appreciation for what you have :D.

I have thought about send an email to Blastin Bob's to see if the want to include them on their site. These are out on Youtube on my YouTube page.

As I have said before, you guys have given a lot of information to someone that is relatively new to this muscle car thing (I am just a die-hard Ford Truck man down deep; although my first car was a Mopar, 74 AMC Pacer) and I hope to give back any chance I can.

See ya on the road somewhere!!!!

Chuck

5. demonbydesign

demonbydesign New Member

Chuck. I do think your quite shifty. lol

I'm also new to having a muscle car. I'm VERY much like you in that I come from a truck background. All my previous vehicles were pickup trucks and I was shopping for another pickup because when I traded in my last one for a Civic Hybrid (yeah, the gas crisis got the better of me back then) I started jonesin' for one again. Then while out test driving a new Ram...seen the Challenger. Reminded me of old 'Cuda. Love 'Cuda from childhood from movie Phantasm. Madness ensued.

If your thinking of sending it to Blastin' Bobs I think that's a great idea too. It really is an informative video.

Personally, I'm still left with wanting a bit longer video of your car with the glass packs on while driving under hard acceleration. So if your ever bored...

Demon

6. seadoofree98

seadoofree98 Guest

Love the sound. Do you think that would sound good on an S/E? It sounds very mean. Love the growl! Good luck with her!

7. letsjet

letsjet Member

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  8. 2010blackrt

2010blackrt New Member

First time I looked under the car at the mufflers I could not believe the size of them. The resonators are enormous but the mufflers are the puniest things I've ever seen, almost comical. I do love the sound though.

9. TexSE

TexSE Member

Need some advice: Just finished installing BB exhaust w/ glasspack. I love the sound - a lot more throaty without any increase in cabin noise. However, I did notice water dripping from the clamps. Is this normal? or is it that I haven't tighten them down enough? Thanks in Advance...

10. sickr bee

sickr bee Well-Known Member

That's normal Carlos, it will weep ( condensation) for a bit but will seal/stop soon. Wondered which U decided on, mileage MAY suffer as it sounds SOO good over 3500 Rs, vroom! ;)

11. TexSE

TexSE Member

Thanks Mark, I was concern that I may not have tighten the clamps down enough and ultimately it would cause rust in that area. I have to say that the sound the new exhaust makes is a huge improvement over the original. I was also amazed at how heavy those resonators are, especially when you are doing it in your garade, secured on jack stands, while laying on your back. Those things must weigh at least 25lbs a piece.

I'll give it a month or so to see if the condensation drip stops in that area, if not, I'll have it weld by a local muffler shop. I took some pics during the mod., will post as soon as I can. Thanks again.

12. letsjet

letsjet Member

I had my BB's welded when the shop installed them as I knew they woiuldn't be coming off.