Challenger Life Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I maybe posting in the wrong thread but, I have a 2011 Challenger with the automatic door handles. For what ever reason, they stopped working. If you push the button on the outside of the door handle it doesn't lock automatically as it did when I first brought the car. A guy at work has one also and his stopped working also. I will have to find time to bring it back to dealer which suxs. Didn't think I would be making a visit back so soon. I know there is an option to turn it off as I checked that already. If I am close enough to the car it will unlock by itself without me touching anything. If I lock it back it will keep unlocking by itself. I got tired fighting with my car so I turned the feature off. Maybe a defect???

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like it might be a bad switch in one of the handles...i will check and see if there are any known issues with them. If so ill let ya know.

Just checked for and TSB's, there are not any for your concern...possible problem with the PEM module. That is the module that handles Passive entry.

Hope this helps a bit:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
There has been alot of talk about that function messing up and I know there is a TSB to fix it on the RTs and I would guess it would include SEs. Bad thing is you still have to take it in to get fixed.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You don't have to punch the little button. If you have the fob on you, in your pocket, in your hand etc. you just have to put your hand on the door handle, it should unlock.

·
Registered
57 Posts
One question...does it unlock when either FOBIK is near the car or just the one you use all the time. Could be a bad FOBIK, that is not a new problem

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yes, and make sure you take the second Fobik out of the car! Don't leave it in the glove box. The battery will go down. The computer talks all night long and doesn't rest. Don't ask me how I know, it was not a good morning.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it unlocks when I'm a few feet away. Not touching the door handles. Then even when doors are unlocked, I can hear it clicking still trying to unlock and the headlights flash. I tried the spare fobik and it does the same thing:(

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
As much as we hate to, there is no way around it you are doing to have to take to the dealer, sorry. I've been following this issue on other boards and it's the number ONE problem on 2011s. From what I've read, at first dealers were replacing handles but seems they have stopped that and are in some kind of holding pattern on cause/repair as it may be a moisture issue on/connections on low voltage circuits which are VERY sensitive seems. Motech check the Star Center data base, I know there's been a bunch just because there have been quite a few on the forums, and not that many people even KNOW bout the forums. It seems to be the button and or connections on the handles themselves, not the controlling systems. Another early build bug that I'm not sure if they corrected, was some SEs without security systems trunk lid would open when trunk lid OUTER button was pressed, regardless of car being locked and no fobik present! Aww the JOYS of owning a first model year, but get it documented bruder, hope they fix ya soon!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll try and bring it in when I have time. Hopefully they have found a solution to this problem.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Cheer up bruder, don't let it sour ya on da sweetest ride around, bar NONE! Many of us here bought first builds and have been round and round ta end up here it's just the nature of first model year on anything, gonna have bugs and all new bugs! Mention forums at dealerships seems to be fifty fifty to help or hurt but if they can reproduce any problem easily, sometime mentioning you heard of handle problems somewhere, can't hurt! ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I checked Chrysler's Star Center info last night and nothing came up for CC's exact concern yet, but i will be sure and keep checking on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There have been quite a few problems found with the door handles. Most problems come with the doors not wanting to unlock or locking as soon as they unlock. Sounds like that is a good place for the dealer to start.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a chance to take it in to the dealer. They replaced one of the door handles and updated the computer's firmware. He said this should fix the problem. Sometimes they still unlock by themselves and that's not with me leaving my keys in my pocket:), but it doesn't happen quite as often as before. I still don't understand how the passenger door handle would have went out before the driver's door handle and not many people ride with me, but it being a new car I guess none of them should have went out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Driver's door handle just went out. I'm so aggravated with this. Back to the dealer I go!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
That is the Technical Service Bulleten number they should refer to bruder. It tells them to replace BOTH handles and the firmware at the same time. A lot of dealers did just the one but this TSB clearly states to do both now. You may have to let them order the handles tho so may take one trip to verify and a second to have them installed kinda depends on your color guess. Good luck maybe just one more trip to dealer, fingers crossed 4U!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My dealer played dumb even though I had a copy of the TSB. They wanted me to leave my car so they could check it and would let me know if they would do anything the next day. They had a real arrogant attitude. I didn't leave my car. I found the problem cleared by itself.
The door system goes to sleep after a while and requires the handle be lifted to wake it up again. Have you tried pulling up on the handle fully then let go and try again to see if it works?

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
man, some dealers just dont think we know about these cars. they just think we are a bunch of dumbasses when it comes to this.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
I drove up to a dealer and started talking to a group of salesman one time, asked them what does HEMI mean?, and only one out of the bunch could tell me, the others looked at him like WTF?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.