Chrysler cancels OT shifts to save parts affected by Japan quake | Challenger Life Forums

Chrysler cancels OT shifts to save parts affected by Japan quake

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger and Industry News' started by Theresa, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Theresa

Theresa Challenger Life Moderator Staff Member

Last Updated: April 06. 2011 11:42AM
    Chrysler cancels OT shifts to save parts affected by Japan quake - Alisa Priddle / The Detroit News

Chrysler Group LLC has cancelled Saturday overtime shifts at two plants to preserve parts so they don't become in short supply in the aftermath of the earthquake in Japan.

Affected are the Brampton, Ont., plant that makes the new Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Challenger, as well as the Toluca, Mexico, plant that makes the Dodge Journey and Fiat 500.

"We have not experienced any disruptions to regularly scheduled production as a result of the issues in Japan," Chrysler said in a statement today. "We are, however, taking some planned overtime out of our production schedule in an effort to conserve supplier parts that are potentially impacted by the disaster."
    Spokeswoman Katie Hepler said it is too early to say if there will be further actions necessary next week.

I really hope we're not going to be reading about the UAW having conniption fits because of this. :?:

2. IntimidatorR/T

IntimidatorR/T Challenger Life Moderator Staff Member Ride of the Month

I really think that this is a good time to get some of this production going back here in the U.S. If anyone should have a back up plan it should have been them. Put Americans back to work.

3. Theresa

That would be awesome, but if it's only as a short-term fix, the costs of setting up shop here would outweigh the benefits. The jobs need to STAY here.

4. IntimidatorR/T

IntimidatorR/T Challenger Life Moderator Staff Member Ride of the Month

should be enough buildings around that closed because of them shipping overseas. good way to jumpstart the economy again. Can you imagine how many people would be put back to work if they did this?.

5. Theresa

Rather than the buildings, I was thinking of the cost of the machinery and equipment with which to fill the buildings. Some of the equipment,etc. is custom made ... aw forget it - can't form a solid thought. You know what I mean. I'm agreeing the jobs should be here, I just doubt it will happen.

6. idmtfirefighter

idmtfirefighter Well-Known Member

Agreed but I'll take it a step further...they should not have left to begin with

7. dwb09ChallengerM

dwb09ChallengerM New Member

That is the best comment on this thread.:bigthumbsup: