Challenger Life Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It deserves being said again. David Booth of the National post is an idiot.

David Booth, National Post Published: Friday, December 18, 2009
[email protected]

In David Booth's article, Don't trust those who fill out surveys, he gives some ridiculous analogies and plain stupid observations.

He begins by saying "...the least trustworthy people on the planet are those who fill out surveys. ...people are all too often swayed by what they think they should say or how they want to be perceived, so that it remains highly unlikely whatever comes out of their mouths bear even the slightest resemblance to the truth." While it's obviously true that peoples answers are always swayed by internal reasons, it doesn't make the answers any less true. Particularly when the questions asked are designed to illicit subjective answers. They are not questions with one concrete answer - such as "what day of the week is it?"

He then tries to make comparisons between Challenger owners answers to Consumer Report's recent owner satisfaction survey and the marriages of Elizabeth Taylor. WTF?

He points out areas in which the Challenger lags behind the Camaro... as if the Consumer Report's survey was a completely objective survey. It wasn't.

He really shows his stupidity with the following "It's not hard to figure out what happened. Anyone fanatical enough to buy a car simply because it looks like the car he or she lusted after when they were 19 is unlikely to care --or, even more unlikely, admit -- the retro-pony car they've dreamed about for so long is more California cruiser than lithe muscle car. They bought a dream not a car, and reality is just not going to intrude into their fantasies." Which is a very ignorant comment considering many Challenger owners don't even remember the original Challenger, and many haven't lusted after it or dreamed about it. The truth is, it's such a beautiful car that even those who have never seen the original Challengers are drawn to it.

My point is that David Booth is an idiot that doesn't fully understand that a subjective survey question will be answered with a subjective answer. It doesn't matter if the Challenger doesn't have the best interior - which is very subjective since we all have different tastes. It doesn't matter that it's heavier than the Camaro - unless you plan on driving it on the track. The question asked was whether you would buy the same car if you had a do-over (I'm paraphrasing). And 92% of Challenger owners that answered the survey said "Hell Yes!" (I paraphrased that as well).

He portrays Challenger owners as illogical beings that only answered that way to justify their purchase or continue their dreamlike fantasy. Apparently he isn't aware that humans are not completely logical beings - and never will be. We are not controlled by logic alone. We have emotions and personal preferences. After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I believe the Camaro is so fugly that I wouldn't buy it over the Challenger if the Camaro were half the price.

·
Super Moderator
5,442 Posts
I saw a USED 2010 Camaro V6 2LT advertised in a paper today , 2800 miles......I hope you guys are sitting down now................$35,250.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!! :bigwow: :bigwow: :bigwow:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Im with u Dave, I'm also one that didn't remember the Challengers ( had a 67 Barracuda tho), thought back then the Challengers were Cudas if I ever saw one. As far as surveys go, gave a great one to sales, but such a bad one on service, that the dealership won't even do warranty repairs cause of it, didn't even know they COULD refuse repair, so much for the surveys truthfullness issue!

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
i have always thought that most of the auto writers are paid by GM anyway
so i put no stock in their opinions.
if the surveys say that we are happy who the hell are they to read in to why we are happy? this idiot in particular makes it sound as though we are lemmings and cant think for ourselves.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if the surveys say that we are happy who the hell are they to read in to why we are happy? this idiot in particular makes it sound as though we are lemmings and cant think for ourselves.
That's exactly what I got out of it.... and why I got fired up and wrote that rant calling him out as an idiot.

If someone says they would buy the same item again it doesn't matter what the reason is. It doesn't even matter if the reason is logical. It's a simple question that only requires a yes or no answer. And I don't think anyone would answer that they would buy it again if they really wouldn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts