Challenger Life Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took a trip down to Miami and I used my in dash navigation to take me there. Well I was not at all impressed. It takes you from point A to B with a whole lot in between. At one point it had me taking loops on and off the interstate for no reason. One of the most upsetting things about this navigation system was that it tells you to turn at the last minute when its too late to switch lanes. It did take me there and the directions where simple but the constant change in routes can be a bit confusing. I tried recallibrating my compass which was no help. I also know they have updates for these things but I brought my car in 2011 and I feel it should not need an update so soon.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 that came with the Droid Navigation system. I prefer the Navigation on my phone compared to the one in my car hands down. It reminds you twice even before making the turn that it is approaching. It has all of the features that the one in my car does as well as access to the internet!! Kind of hard to beat in my opinion.

I wanted the fully loaded option of the challenger mainly for the in dash hard drive but this was about a 700-800 dollar upgrade from what I am guessing and my question is was it really worth it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got the basic radio (RES) and was looking to upgrade to the touch screen nav (bells and whistles) RHB version but couldn't justify the price in my head. $1,600.00 is way too steep for me. I could use that money for so many other things for my car. Scrapped that Idea, so I have been connecting my Android Nav to my bluetooth and listen for the lady to tell me where to turn next. Been working fine for me since I got the car. Every now and again the bluetooth loses connection and end up just listening from my phone. Either way, I am happy with android.

Speaking of Android (or smart phones for that matter) A 16 year old kid knocked on my door yesterday evening and asked if he could drive my Challenger around the block. I didnt think it was funny, so I asked who he was. He turned out to be selling local newspaper subscriptions door to door and had already suckered a couple of my neighbors into it. His sale's pitch was that for every 2 year subscription he gets from each customer, his company gives him $1,000 towards college. I smiled and said I don't read the newspaper. He asked me, "How do you get the news, get coupons, and find out about sales and current events?" I laughed and said this, and pulled out my Android phone. I told him I get more local and world news, traffic, weather, turn by turn driving directions, and electronic coupons that the cashier can scan right from my phone for free, why would I want a paper?" He said "Come on man, can't you help me out?" I laughed and said "Sorry, no." Why do I care if he goes to college? Because he was being a wise ass about my car? I didn't go to college and I turned out just fine.
:bigcrazy:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
LMAO, I feel ya L13! Used nav on the first Challenger first day, going to east Texas visit a friend quick 200 mile round trip for break-in. Between not knowing how to turn up the voice and it only using left channel couldnt hear what she said as it broke in to radio. GF was watching the screen tho, and I had been this route like hundreds of times, but then she asked me " Why are there TWO green lines?" , seems with all the confusion/new car/new tech/idiot other drivers I had smooth missed the exit! Soo used iphoner every since, and have the Mygig wideout nav now. But so ya know that Gmaps can also give U bad address as I learned in 2009, when a bunch met up in Waco, bad address in OTHER side of hiway, after asking directions of local, and finally arriving we discovered we were NOT alone and had a laugh at what the locals must have thought of all the nice cars, cruising around their neighborhood! Not as fancy as Ray tho, I just set it to directions and let Jerri be my navigator, makes it feel more like "Rally" driving! ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
My GPS has put me on one a way road the wrong direction and has sent me to do unessary loops on the toll roads.... But I still like the security of the Guide Me Home button!!!
Has anyone got the $149.00 upgrade. I've been debating on spending the money on that.... In my loaner Durango, it had favorites option on the Sirius radio.. it let u choose favorite song and artist... When another station was playing one of your favorites it would notify you... just wondering if that is part of the upgrade... Anybody happen to know???

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
The $149 upgrade is just a map update. The MyGig software updates are free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts