Door Sill Guards | Challenger Life Forums

Door Sill Guards

Discussion in 'Interior Mods' started by Wrencher, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Wrencher

Wrencher New Member

i know this is probably a no-brainer to most of you, but I'm unsure about the Mopar Stainless Door Sill Guards (pn 82211234).
    I'm a factory-look kinda guy. I don't want anything that looks out of place or that doesn't look original. My concern is there is almost no chrome on the inside or outside of this car. I'm worried that those big ol' stainless pieces will stick out like a sore thumb when you open the door. It would seem to me that it would be nice if these were offered in black with bright lettering, but they aren't.

So I know lots of you have these and I haven't yet had an opportunity to see a car with them installed. I'm trying to cover up some small scuffs that happened during the previous ownership. What do you guys think? Do the stainless guard stand out or do they look like they belong there? Got any pictures with the door open?

Here are a couple of examples:
    (black w/smaller lettering) http://www.ebay.com/itm/171023051888
    (stainless) http://www.ebay.com/itm/190596694240

Thanks.

2. Houdini

Houdini Platinum Level Supporter

The Mopar ones look like they belong there.

Not the best pic, but...

$Untitled.png

3. Wrencher

Wrencher New Member

Hmmm, they do look good on your silver car. The Silver and the Stainless look very nice together. Thanks for the pic.
    I know I'm probably over-thinking this, but would they look as good on a TorRed Challenger?

4. Houdini

5. Wrencher

Wrencher New Member

Yeah, I think the lighting doesn't show off the shiny-ness of the plate, but I think you've convinced me.

BTW, I did try to find a pic in the photos, but I couldn't find a way to search photos by keywords. Is there a way?

Thanks.

6. Houdini

No good way to search photo albums - almost no one adds descriptions to their pics anyway.

7. deranged

deranged Well-Known Member

Go with the MOPAR sill guards. Believe me I am with you on the "factory" appearing look. They are a brushed finish and look like they belong there. I also have the MOPAR splash guards and actually modified my original strut tower covers to cover the MOPAR strut tower brace. (In case you need any further convincing)

8. IntimidatorR/T

IntimidatorR/T Challenger Life Moderator Staff Member Ride of the Month

mine are from Billett tech.

got them at Lonestar Moparfest for a good deal.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  9. shiftintohigh

shiftintohigh New Member

At one point, those were in Mopar Interior pkg. I looked at a car with them, but bought one without it. I truly missed it, it's a more finished look. I am a factory look guy as well. THe dealer sold the car I was looking at and the next one didn't have it. Wished it did have them tho. That's my .02 worth.

10. IntimidatorR/T

you can still find them on ebay.

11. shiftintohigh

shiftintohigh New Member

Thanks David i will take a look.

12. Wrencher

Wrencher New Member

I ordered a set of Mopar Stainless Door Sill Guards (pn 82211234) from a dealer in Texas on ebay since I don't have a local dealer. I decided the Mopar Guards were best for me since they wrap over the bend in the sill to cover the area most likely to get scuffed. They came double-boxed to prevent bending, which was nice. What I found upon trial fitting (with adhesive backing still in place) was that the door sill was curved horizontally and the stainless guards were not. When they were held flush at one end, they were at least 1/4" away from fitting on the other end. I had to hand-form the guards on the short vertical lip to allow them to fit correctly. They bend easily, so I carefully used my thumbs to push the short side out a little at a time in the middle of the guards so that both ends would fit flush. Once I was satisfied that the guards were formed to the proper shape, I cleaned the painted sill with the alcohol swabs provided in the kit. I peeled back about 6" or so of the protective film (the red and brown backing) from one end of the guard, leaving the ends hanging out towards me from under the guard. Centering the guard using the interior trim as reference, I carefully positioned it so the bend fit completely flush with the sill before pressing down. Working towards the opposite end, I pulled the backing off the adhesive a little at a time, using pressure to assure the vertical surface of the guard was against the sill before pressing down on the horizontal.

$sill1.jpg
    I removed the blue protective film before starting since it wrapped around the edges and ends and interfered with trial-fitting.

$sill2.jpg
    I was expecting only two strips of double-sided adhesive but it was full width on the ends and there was another strip on the short lip too.

$sill3.jpg
    The backing on the adhesive on the short lip is brown paper.

$sill4.jpg
    Not the best pic, but I'm pleased that they do look factory, even if they aren't available in black.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  13. shiftintohigh

shiftintohigh New Member

Looks good! I have read posts of people misapplying and having to re order. Looks like you got it correct the first time, kudos!

14. Wrencher

Wrencher New Member

I know installing these is not a big deal and easy for most people. I just wanted to mention the adhesive is quite strong and unforgiving. I think the key to correct positioning is to only remove a little of the adhesive backing at a time, instead of peeling it all off at once. The first time it touches the painted sill it sticks and you probably won't be able to remove/reposition it. Years ago, I installed dealer add-on body side molding with similar adhesive and learned to only remove about 6" of the adhesive backing at a time. Peel a little, position, stick it down. Repeat. That's not something that's intuitive and the instructions that come with the sills is only pictures, no text instructions. I could see that if someone pulled all the backing off and didn't get it exactly where they wanted it, that the sills would get bent and ruined trying to remove/reposition them.

15. Houdini

Looks good.

I did the same as applying X-Pel headlight film... mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water in a spray bottle. Spray both the surface and the adhesive before applying. The alcohol solution will evaporate over a few hours.

16. deranged

deranged Well-Known Member

I stripped mine completely of the adhesive than centered and carefully placed the lower portion against the sill. I then let out a mighty scream and went for it!

Looks great and just like it came that way! Congrats! Your paint will thank you for it.

Now I only wish they made these in Challenger SCRIPT. Since install (early) I have changed the other Challenger badging to script and added Challenger R/T to the rear. They kinda clash now. $Challenger 08-06-10 019.jpg $Challenger 08-06-10 017.jpg

I won't reveal the dash badge. It is one of a kind to my knowledge.

17. shiftintohigh

shiftintohigh New Member

Duly noted, Thanks guys!

18. SilverBullet17

SilverBullet17 New Member

20170820_174529.jpg

I picked these up on EBAY. The stainless steel is definitely the way to go

19. 2016 Pack

2016 Pack New Member

20. IntimidatorR/T

welcome to the forum. post some pics of the car also.. lets see your ride!