Challenger Life Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any type/brand of paint that needs to be used for painting in the engine compartment?
I have spied some black plastic components I want to pop off and paint.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Should be able to use the paint code to get color match paint. Don't think you'll need high-heat paint but u will need adhesive prepaint on the plastics u paint. Was looking at pictures of my traded in Rumble Bee, thankful now that I have a Black Challenger as most the stuff I used to color match, allready does!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Sorry -but TALK ABOUT TIMING!!!

I JUST repainted my engine plastic FOUR TIMES this weekend beacause it CRINKLES with enamel AND laquer - Painted then had to strip!!

Here's what I found out AFTER I finished SCREAMING

Sand part GENTLY with 220 wet/dry - let dry for MINIUM 2 hours in 74 degree PLUS -Use Valspar plastic primer (two coats - 20 mins between coats) - let sit for 24 hours - then paint color with Valspar Plastic paint - let sit for 24 hours - then MIST on clear

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Sorry -but TALK ABOUT TIMING!!!

I JUST repainted my engine plastic FOUR TIMES this weekend beacause it CRINKLES with enamel AND laquer - Painted then had to strip!!

Here's what I found out AFTER I finished SCREAMING

Sand part GENTLY with 220 wet/dry - let dry for MINIUM 2 hours in 74 degree PLUS -Use Valspar plastic primer (two coats - 20 mins between coats) - let sit for 24 hours - then paint color with Valspar Plastic paint - let sit for 24 hours - then MIST on clear
Good info...thanks

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should be able to use the paint code to get color match paint. Don't think you'll need high-heat paint but u will need adhesive prepaint on the plastics u paint. Was looking at pictures of my traded in Rumble Bee, thankful now that I have a Black Challenger as most the stuff I used to color match, allready does!
A black car is not a color but a way of life I have heard...too keep it clean and shiny anyway.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts