Challenger Life Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a 2009 Dodge Challenger SE (3.5L V6). The last 2 times I pumped gas, the pump would shut off every 4 gallons. This is while having it on the fastest pump speed on auto. However, if I hold the nozzle and manually pump at a medium speed, I can sometimes get it to fill up without stopping. Has anyone ever experienced this before? (Last 2 times I pumped at Fred Meyer/Kroger station)

Also, I noticed this weird dent inside my trunk (driver side) when I got it back from the dealership a couple weeks ago. I tried to find a diagram that displayed where the fuel tank was located, but to no avail. Does anyone know if this dent could have damaged the fuel tank? I'm assuming it's just the rear wheel well behind there..

Thanks for your help (as always)!

Shoe Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tread Automotive tire Road surface Sleeve Grey Asphalt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a 2009 Dodge Challenger SE (3.5L V6). The last 2 times I pumped gas, the pump would shut off every 4 gallons. This is while having it on the fastest pump speed on auto. However, if I hold the nozzle and manually pump at a medium speed, I can sometimes get it to fill up without stopping. Has anyone ever experienced this before? (Last 2 times I pumped at Fred Meyer/Kroger station)

Also, I noticed this weird dent inside my trunk (driver side) when I got it back from the dealership a couple weeks ago. I tried to find a diagram that displayed where the fuel tank was located, but to no avail. Does anyone know if this dent could have damaged the fuel tank? I'm assuming it's just the rear wheel well behind there..

Thanks for your help (as always)!

View attachment 9993 View attachment 9995
Hi ONE L COOL J,
We sincerely regret to hear of your trouble. I'm glad to hear that you are working with your dealer on this. Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your Challenger is in service, we are just a PM away.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
fuel tank is behind the back seat, it is a saddle tank as it splits over the hump. as far as the dent in the rear trunk cover, just pull it away and pop it back into place. and Yes, when you pump the gas at a high speed setting the air pressure will back up and it shuts it off because it is fill the filler tube too fast. I just use the middle setting on the pump handle and fill it up that way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip, David!

I will try manually pumping at medium speed tomorrow.

While I was looking underneath my rear seat I noticed this loose rubber seal. Could it have anything to do w the pump stopping?

I pushed it back into place as best as I could, but I'm afraid it may pop back out

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Hat Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
not sure, but it may be a start. not sure if that is a replaceable part or you have to buy the unit

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:

Pumped 89 octane at Chevron today. Pump nozzle 3/4 of the way in & MED pump speed, wouldn't let me pump with nozzle 1/2 way in. Pump shut off around 10 gal (6 gal from full). Heard a little gas or vapor coming back out from fuel nozzle vapor seal. Pump wouldn't go anymore, so I pulled it out. Re-inserted 3/4 of the way in and pumped MED speed for remaining 6 gal.

Seems like some vapor building up in tank that has no where else to escape but back outside of filler tube?

Pump shuts off twice as fast if I pump at full speed (4-5 gal at a time)

Next time I'm going to try pumping with the nozzle upside down (hose up)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:

TUE 12/31:
Pumped gas at a 3rd Chevron. Turned nozzle upside down (hose up). Put nozzle all the way in. Pumped manually at MED speed. Pumped 14 gallons without stopping (full tank).

TUE 1/7:
Pumped gas at 3rd Chevron again. This time tried putting nozzle in right side up. 3/4 of the way in filler tube. Pumped manually at MED speed. Filled tank without stopping (14gal).

Next time I’ll try this 3rd Chevron again and try pumping manually at full speed to see if it will stop on me.

Also going to take a pic of pump nozzle. It looks a little different from the pumps I’ve been using (no vapor seal?)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

Pumped gas at 3rd Chevron again (WED 1/15). Put nozzle in all the way, right-side up. Pumped manually full speed. Filled to full with no stoppage (14gal). No problems at all at this station. Here is what the pump looks like, maybe there's no vapor shut off?

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design
Microphone Fluid Gas Audio equipment Bicycle part
Automotive tire Household hardware Bicycle part Gear Rim
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Sports equipment Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
WOW, never seen a pump nozzle look like that before, ours here in Louisiana are pretty simple

1 - 11 of 11 Posts