Hood dust strip | Challenger Life Forums

Hood dust strip

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions Forum' started by hada71rt, Jun 27, 2015.

1. hada71rt

hada71rt Member

I didn't see anything posted on this so..
    My hood dust strip finally went so here's what I did..
    1.) Used pieces of blue painters tape to mark the top edge of the dust strip for reference. (That's what they call it)
    2.) Removed the rivets with a small star driver screw driver by putting the end on the center of the rivet and wacking it with a rubber mallet. This drives the rivet pin down into the center of the rivet and allows it to be removed with a plastic removal tool.
    3.) Removed the cup holder plastic (SRT thing) and cleaned the face where the strip was with alcohol.
    4.) Using 3/4" wide x 7/16" thick black self stick weather seal, available at any home center, I affixed it to where the previous strip was using the blue tape as a guide.
    5. This seal, although called black actually looks more like a dark gray, so to get a finished look I cover it with "Scotch" black plastic tape. (See attached pics)
    A couple notes, when I applied the black tape the car, which is black, was sitting with the nose outside the garage in the sun and the engine was hot. As I applied the tape it became so hot to the touch it seemed to bond to the foam.
    I drove the car several times afterward and the tape stayed bonded to the foam.
    So far so good and no rivets or screws required. If I have a problem in the future I'll post it.
    Nice thing is it's a cheap fix and easily removed if you wish to go back to the original.

The attached PDF shows what the Foam strip, top image, looks like compared to the actual section of dust strip. The vertical part of the dust strip is very stiff compared to the seal part which is the part that's tearing. I think that maybe the two different types of rubber are bonded.
    Hope this helps somebody that has a similar problem..

(OO [::::::::::::::::SRT:::] OO)

Attached Files:

2. IntimidatorR/T

IntimidatorR/T Challenger Life Moderator Staff Member Ride of the Month

Top Poster Of Month

last time that happened to me , i just ripped it off and left it that way, that piece from the dealer cost about $45. I replaced it on my first challenger.

3. idmtfirefighter

idmtfirefighter Well-Known Member

finally pulled mine last weekend...it was about 25% ripped from the driver side to passenger side

4. idmtfirefighter

idmtfirefighter Well-Known Member

after pulling mine off, washing the car, and driving through heavy rain, I have seen no more or less water/dirt in my engine compartment