Is my Uconnect Nav Compatible? | Challenger Life Forums

Is my Uconnect Nav Compatible?

Discussion in 'Interior Mods' started by telepathic, Apr 15, 2019.

1. telepathic

telepathic New Member

Hey there. I bought a used 2016 Dodge Challenger in Pearl Blue (a special order color) with blacktop conversion package. I traded in my 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan manly-van for it. Let's just I've upped the coolness factor by eleventy-billion.

I have a specific question about my Uconnect 8.4 system. I would like to add the navigation system to this, and it seems like it's possible. At least, when I did the research and found the Uconnect system and upgrading to the Nav system, pictures on the Uconnect site seemed to suggest that the Nav system is buried in ALL 8.4 Uconnect systems, and it's just a matter of paying the fee to unlock and access it.

HOWEVER, I just called my Dodge dealer to inquire about it. The parts person asked for the last 8 digits of the VIN; when he ran the numbers, he said my 8.4 Uconnect does not have the feature. I'm not sure I believe him as it seems to contradict what I found online. However, I am aware that the internet sometimes traffics in falsehoods.

And the Uconnect site does say "make sure your system is compatible before upgrading" but offers no way to check that compatibility.

My question: is there a site I can go to in order to definitively check for compatibility? Are ALL 8.4 Uconnect systems Nav compatible when you pay the fee to unlock?

2. ZEN357

ZEN357 Active Member

I believe from the research I have done, and don;t quote me on this because I could be wrong, but as long as it's an 8.4 Uconnect system you should be able to add NAV by paying the $695 fee (could be more) and getting the registration number to activate it. I would google it. Somewhere buried in the setting of the radio is your part number/model number. Google it and see if it is capable. I know that my 2016 with the 8.4 Unconnect System is capable of it, but since it's not a daily driver and just a play toy I really have no need to activate it. Hope this helps.

3. IntimidatorR/T

IntimidatorR/T Challenger Life Moderator Staff Member Ride of the Month

Top Poster Of Month

yep, $695 to activate the nave in your radio. I say screw that , I used the google maps app on my phone and bluetooth it through car play in my wife's 2018 charger. just like having radio nave.

4. ZEN357

ZEN357 Active Member

That's what I do as well! For all I would use the NAV for, it;s not worth the money.

5. telepathic

telepathic New Member

Well, on the advice at another forum, I called UConnect directly and discovered that I have a UConnect 3C that happens to be 8.4": I do NOT have a UConnect 8.4C, which means it's not NAV compatible. I knew there was a reason I wanted to buy an '18 instead of a '16 because of a couple major upgrades, but dang....this color! As soon as I saw the Pearl Blue sparkle in the sun, I had to have it, especially since the others I was looking at were just plain ol' silver (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

6. ZEN357

ZEN357 Active Member

Does your model have appleplay or whatever it's called where you use your maps feature on your phone and it will appear on the screen in the vehicle?

7. telepathic

telepathic New Member

I don't think so. There's not a specific ApplePlay app like I've seen in other cars. I'll try it this afternoon.

8. IntimidatorR/T

Top Poster Of Month

apple car play is not an app for the phone is is the app on your radio screen, when your to the phone. phone is hooked up to the radio via usb it will recognize the phone and the car play app will automatically switch to the phone. and what apps it recognizes will pop up on your screen. this is not blue tooth. you can still blue tooth some apps through the phone but the maps wont go Bluetooth,

9. ZEN357

ZEN357 Active Member

Thanks for the explanation. The salesman I just bought my 2018 SXT was talking about it but I wasn't understanding it.

10. ZEN357

ZEN357 Active Member

Ok, so I gotta hook my phone up using a USB cable through my console. I was fiddling with it last night but was trying to do it using Bluetooth. Didn't remember what you had written. Now I'll try it using a cable.

11. snl2106

snl2106 New Member

2015 & 2016 do NOT have carplay unfortuneatly i checked into that for an upgrade from Dodge and was told nothing from anyone.

12. IntimidatorR/T

Top Poster Of Month

i have a 2017 Ram with the 8.4 uconnect radio and all, but no car play for it too. my wife 2018 charger does have car play with her 8.4 unit.