Challenger Life Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the 18s and it is getting about time to change the tires.
Right now I have the stock 235/55/18's, so I was thinking of either getting new tires, or maybe even get some 20s to fill the wheel well out a bit more (love the look of 20s on this car)

If I do decide to go ahead and change the tires, what size should I get where it wont effect the speedometer? I'd like wider tires, maybe 255s, but I dont know if they will fit on the stock 18s..?
So if 255s where able to fit the 18s, what other size would I need to keep aorund the same height of the current sidewall? Someone said that 255/55/18s would be 11mm taller, so any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

(btw- I do realize if I do get 20s, it can/will effect the odometer, but I'm willing to sacrifice that until I obtain a Predator lol)

·
Super Moderator
5,442 Posts
a dodge dealer can also adjust the speedo with the starscan too.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know! Thanks Dave. So how you liking the new sound? Videos sound great, I'm sure its even better in person!

·
Super Moderator
5,442 Posts
the inside sound is awesome!! I just hope savors that payment a little...:rofl:

you will hear it come Saturday.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking forward to it, We all parking along side each other correct?

·
Super Moderator
5,442 Posts
I have pre-registered, when I did that I told the guy that we would liked to be parked in the same place, I know Jack my be bringing his canopy and I have mine. so I hope he does it that way.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be registering when I arrive, do you think i can park 1st then go register?

·
Super Moderator
5,442 Posts
dunno, but I am going early, so I will make sure we all will have a spot.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Chris I believe 255/50/18's would be pretty close. Go online and type in tire size calculator, it should be of help. Also, when you decide on which tire to use, call me and I can see how much they would be with my discount. Sometimes I can beat Tire Rack.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright sounds good! Thanks Jack!
But 1st I believe I will run the idea of just getting me some srt 20s that come with tires for $1495. Seems like a great deal. They said they were taking off within 100 miles I believe.

I'll tell the parents this could be my birthday (dec 6th) and christmas present! lol

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
While we're talking tires, I checked on my two today, now they're saying it's scheduled for drop-ship next Friday. Talk about cutting it close for the drag strip. I went with 255/45/20 Goodyear Eagle RSA's. I don't want to mess with the ride by going with another brand , just a tad wider for better traction.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Well, they're here.........finally. I think maybe Friday i'll put them on. They measure out 1/4" wider, not any taller that I can see, and they have tread LOL. The first of the year is looming large, I have to be done with all my mods by then if i'm going to start paying this car off early.:eek:ldtimer:

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome! I think I'll be going with new tires soon, and if I get them by the time of the Paragon Show...well lets just say Jack won't be the only person in the burnout contest!:thumbupright:

I'll just put the new tires on after the show.

Oh and does anyone have any suggestions on tires? I'm thinking of nitto 420s 255/50/18. These will be wider, better traction in dry and wet conditions, and they are suppose to have a good tread life. Oh and did I mention they are like $50 cheaper than the stock pilots?!

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Chris:

www.1010tires.com

Nitto 420 in a 255/55R18.
Same height and about 1/2" wider.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found the tire height calculator
http://www.wallaceracing.com/tire-aspect-calc.php

Stock 235/55/18s are 28.18 inches tall & 9.25 inches wide
255/50/18s are 28.04 inches tall & 10.04 inches wide (thats 3/4 inches wider! :dance:)
255/55/18s are 29.04 inches tall & 10.04 inches wide

So I will more than likely go with the 50s so it wont effect the speed much and if anything ill be going slower than what the speed-o says lol

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Am I wrong, I was thinking your current tire size was 235/55/18.
I didn't want to mess with my rear height, I stuck to the 45 ratio and stepped up the width from 245 to 255, a little wider.
It's hard to calculate exactly from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's an educated guess on my part.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
5,442 Posts
you'll need another set for the rear after sunday Jack.. :layrubber:

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
you'll need another set for the rear after sunday Jack.. :layrubber:
I hope not! I kept my old 2 in case of burnout emergency:rofl:
These new meats grip better, but I can still break them loose.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
5,442 Posts
burning my tires up is something I dont have to worry about.:shhh:

btw, the cover is mounted.... :whistle:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts