Challenger Life Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I just ordered the new inTune DCX for my '12 R/T. Should receive it in a couple of days. Once I reflash my car with the 93-octane tune, I'll post up some info and opinions. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the replacement for the Diablosport Predator. It's about the size of a small cell phone, has 2 processors, 1 gig of built in memory, adjustable parameters like tire size, spark, A/F, etc. and is compatible with custom tunes (it'll store and flash them to your PCM). Retail price is $449, while the DS Trinity T-1000 for our cars is $599. Autoanything is where I bought it, and they offer free shipping and if you are a 1st time customer, they have 15% off deals. They gave me a 10% discount as a returning customer; I bought my headers from them. Good outfit; no complaints with them.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Interesting, let us know what you think. Just the usual, time slips, fuel mileage, butt dyno impressions etc, you know the usual. Seriously, thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
$449 is steep to me but I'm very interested what you can do with it on a 6 speed. Waiting for that update.............

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it's not cheap, but I paid $379 for my SCT tuner for my Mustang almost 5 years ago. The Diablo has 3 canned tunes on it, and it can do a lot of things. With the discounts I mentioned, it's not really that bad. $404 for me shipped. Will receive it Friday and install the 93 octane tune Saturday. Will post up Saturday afternoon/evening what I think of it. The 93 octane tune is good for 15 HP and 15 ft/lbs at the wheels, plus better throttle response and MPG. We'll see! I mainly bought it for Eric to do a custom tune after he gets his software for the Chrysler products.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it's not cheap, but I paid $379 for my SCT tuner for my Mustang almost 5 years ago. The Diablo has 3 canned tunes on it, and it can do a lot of things. With the discounts I mentioned, it's not really that bad. $404 for me shipped. Will receive it Friday and install the 93 octane tune Saturday. Will post up Saturday afternoon/evening what I think of it. The 93 octane tune is good for 15 HP and 15 ft/lbs at the wheels, plus better throttle response and MPG. We'll see! I mainly bought it for Eric to do a custom tune after he gets his software for the Chrysler products. BTW, the price I mentioned is for the new tuning on the '11-'12 cars, not your 2010s. They are cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
5,445 Posts
the newer cars are not able to use the old diablo sport tuner, I have an 2009 so i still use mine, a trinity is way out of budget for me, even though are are nice to use and are usable on multiple vehicles. the predator is only good for the vehicle you use it on and nothing else, unless you unmarry it from that vehicle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The inTune I-1000 for cars other than the 2011 and 2012 models costs $389, if anyone is interested. Shop at Autoanything to get their discount. Can't wait for mine!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess that I could have waited...Received the inTune Friday past, and connected it to my PC to download any updates. That went okay. Next morning, I hooked up to my car and proceeded to start flashing my PCM; the inTune told me to check for a PCM calibration online. I did, and lo and behold, there was a PCM calibration file online. Downloaded it to the inTune, and went back to the car. Hooked up again, and when the inTune booted up, it asked me to load the PCM calibration file. I acknowledged that, and it began writing the file. At 99% complete, it displayed an error and went into recovery mode, which is supposed to put the factory tune back in place in the PCM. Trouble was, it never backed up the factory tune. I tried a couple more times to write the calibration file to my PCM, and got the same error each time. On the last try, it made it to 96 % complete and then displayed an "error reading map" message. I disconnected and tried to start my car...nothing. Won't even turn over. Of course, Diablosport tech support isn't available on the weekends. Called Monday after work, explained everything and went through the process again with the tech on the phone. Same results. Disconnected the battery for a minute and then reconnected; still nothing. End result, DS emailed me an UPS next day air label to send my PCM and inTune to them. They will attempt to reflash my PCM with the factory tune, and also check to see if my inTune is defective. If it is, they'll give me a new one. If my PCM is hosed, they'll replace it with a brand new one...all on their dime. While I ain't happy with the experience I've had, I applaud DS for their prompt customer service response and their offer to make things right. I'm hoping that I just got a bad inTune, and that I'll be able to load the 93 octane tune into my car in the next day or so. From the folks who have been successful loading tunes with this new tuner, they say that it transforms the 5.7 into a rocket. Will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
656 Posts
:bigclap:WOW!! You are a very calm person! I would’ve gone into a full blown panic attack!:tappingfoot: LOL
Once you get the guys from DS to the phone they are awesome. After my engine install they had me a fax a copy of the paper work, then they walked me thru the whole thing in about 15 minutes… Great guys!
Keep us posted hopefully you’ll be tearing up the streets soon!:layrubber:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I picked up a used predator for $135 shipped, turned off the MDS, increased the shift firmness, and installed the 91 octane cai tune. Glad I got a 2010, a smoken deal and the car feels awesome.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keeping a cool head for now. As long as they make good on things I'll be happy. I will let you all know what the outcome is. letsjet, you did get a good deal, and I'm glad the Predator worked for you. The inTune that I bought is the successor to the Predator, and I'm sure that it will work just as well, if not better than, the Predator whenever they get the bugs worked out. That being said, they shouldn't have released it if it wasn't ready yet.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I'm with Deb. I would have come unglued big time! Of course I am deranged though! Hopefully things get sorted out quickly. Hard to believe something got out the door that could take out the PCM. :think:

Yeah, I'd be livid no doubt about it! :bigangry:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay...got my PCM and tuner back today. DS reflashed my PCM with the factory tune and also flashed the calibration update, making my PCM a version AD from the earlier AC. Don't ask; I don't know the differences. They also reset my DCX and loaded all updates to it. Popped the PCM back into the car and she fired right up! After the relief I felt about that, I noticed that she was idling at 1500 RPM and she was stumbling a bit. Blipping the throttle produced no results...of any kind. After running about 45 seconds, I turned her off and let her sit for a minute. Started up again and the idle was now about 1000 RPM and she was sounding smooth. Blipped the pedal again and she "kicked down" to the normal 750 RPM; throttle control was restored. Then I connected the DCX and scanned for DTCs; there were two, both related to low throttle control voltage. I cleared these, scanned again, and no other codes. Then I tried to load the 93 octane tune. The DCX successfully backed up my factory tune, and wrote the 93 tune to 100%. I then was prompted to cycle the key a couple of times, and this was not successful and I had to rewrite the factory tune back to the PCM. That was successful...huge sigh of relief. Called tech support and there is a trick to cycling the key; ya got to go slooooooooow and let the dash lights all go out before proceeding. Anyway, we got the 93 tune loaded successfully and it was Yippie!!! Disconnected the DCX, hung up the phone and turned the key-nothing. My battery was drained from sitting for a couple of days without starting the car, and also from keeping the DCX connected for about 20-25 minutes loading and unloading tunes and clearing codes. Put her on the charger for about 45 minutes and she fired right up! Another huge sigh of relief!!! I will wait until tomorrow to take her out to ensure that the tune is good to go. I am pretty confident that it will be fine. So, I got my ride back and I gave the DS folks a big pat on the back for making things right. As long as my car runs good tomorrow, I'll be a happy camper. Sorry for the novella, but I wanted to tell the story.

·
Super Moderator
5,445 Posts
I am running the 93 oct tune in mine with some minor adjustments that Chris helped me out with. they are going to have 2 vendors at Challengerfest with Dyno's so I am going to have mine done to see where my car is at as far as horsepower is concerned.. might have a few changes in the tune in-store for it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The car is running fine so far, but I have to say that it doesn't feel much different than it did before the tune. I haven't really gotten on her yet, so the best may be yet to come. Acceleration does feel a bit smoother, however. When I get up the nerve to adjust throttle sensitivity and a couple of other things it might make a difference. Sorry for the letdown if you were expecting big things. I'll keep ya posted. The real test will come when I get up with Eric (Brooks) to tweak the tune as only he can. THEN there'll be a difference!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
When you say throttle sensitivity, is that just opening the throttle? Or will it adjust the closing as well? The throttle seems to hang open to long for me. I know it hangs open to make sure the fuel is burned completely, so less unburned hyrdrocarbons, but it's annoying. Best luck on all your findings.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts