Challenger Life Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm thinking that it will tweak both opening and closing of the throttle. When I had my 'Stang tuned, Eric tweaked the drive-by-wire settings and it not only helped acceleration, it allowed the car to back down immediately when getting off the gas. Whether the DS canned settings will be that sensitive, I don't know. I might play with it tomorrow and see what happens. After driving the car for several days now, I'm liking the canned tune a little more. The car accelerates smoother and power is there throughout the curve. I haven't experienced any knocking as some other folks have, but I've been running premium (93-octane) since day one. I also haven't been fooling around with trying to change what DS put into their tune; I haven't changed spark advance, A/F or anything like that. So, the canned tune is working well for me. I'll leave the wizardry up to Eric.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think that is the downside of the tuner, was that it turned off the factory knock sensor, which lets you change octane ratings, switching to and from premium. You probably have had enough surprises, I wouldn't get too adventurous changing stuff. (Lol) If you nail the throttle closing down anymore in this car, let us know.

·
Super Moderator
5,445 Posts
well, at Challengerfest we are going to have 2 onsite dynos, at the track and at the hotel. OST will be doing onsite dyno and tuning, you might want to consider that since you are really just an interstate drive from Bowling Green.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I hear you, shift. I'm only going to play with the throttle sensitivity and see how well that works. When the time comes, Eric will do a custom tune for me; I trust him emphatically. As for Challengerfest, I work at a nuke power plant and we will be shutting one of the units down for refueling right before CF starts. I won't be able to make it. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Ok OldMan, I gotta ask why the need for some one to "tweak" on the tune? This is one thing I definitely don't understand when it comes to tuners. Why aren't there an absolute crap load of tunes already there that cover everything? There are certain mods commonly done amongst Challengers and seems to me that there would be enough commonality that say a 3.2 blower tune would be at the ready to just plug in, especially with a basically stock car as the starting point. Is it just tuning to the individual owners specific preferences as in throttle opening and advance rate? I don't know how far tweaking can be taken as far as fuel, ignition and the like. I'm not tech savvy at all, so please explain slowly............:D Just trying to learn some on this stuff and you have more than basic experience in this area. Anyhow the way it sounds so far I'm glad things are working out for you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No problem, deranged. Here goes: let's take your car and my car, for example. You have a CAI, and (I'm guessing) the factory exhaust, exhaust manifolds, throttle body, etc. Basically, just the CAI. You live in Illinois; how far above sea level are you? What octane gas is available to you? What brand CAI do you have? These factors all go into a custom tune. If you have the MOPAR CAI, you would tune for that differently than for a C&L intake or an Arrington intake. Why? Because they each are designed differently and each has different flow characteristics. One will allow your Hemi to ingest more air than the others, and at different temps depending on where the filter is located and how efficient the heat shield/air box is at keeping heat out of the intake stream. I'm sure that you are a few hundred feet above sea level, so the air is thinner than it is here in south Alabama where I live. Your tune would add a little more fuel to compensate for the inherently leaner atmosphere in your location. My car, with my BBK CAI, headers and full catback exhaust would need to be tuned to compensate for the lean condition imposed by the improved intake and exhaust "breathing" that my car has. Every car, even similar cars with similar mods, needs to be tuned to enhance the specific characteristics of each car. Your heads might outflow my heads simply because they got a better finish hone than mine did; you got fresh stones when mine were honed by worn out stones. Just an example. The whole point of custom tuning is to put your car on the dyno and to hook it up to a computer that can datalog air fuel ratios at various RPMs, spark advance or retard at various engine loads, etc. A good tune smith can read that baseline data and adjust on several (or just a couple) parameters in order to extract the most power (or economy) out of your car based upon the data your car provides. Some tuners will go as lean as they can on a tune, because lean means power, but it also is putting your motor at risk should you ever experience fuel starvation due to a clogged fuel filter or if an injector has a hiccup. All this being said, companies like DS or SCT cannot provide tunes for every combination of gas quality, mods, conditions of the engines to begin with, etc. to get the most out of each vehicle. Their canned tunes are really generic improvements based upon common mods or simply stock motors. You bought your car and it was what it was when you brought it home. You have since personalized it with your mods; you made it yours. A custom tune can be looked at in the same light; the canned tunes from Diablosport are just a starting point. They are mild tunes that will satisfy most drivers with safely enhanced performance gains that will not grenade your motor...or make manufacturers raise hell about tampering with their products. A good custom tune smith can extract more power and drivability out of your car, and still keep it within safe engine parameters. When I had my Paxton installed on my Mustang, I only had headers, a Flowmaster exhaust and cams as mods. The blower added bigger injectors, a different CAI, bigger fuel pump, different spark plugs, etc. On the first dyno run, Eric got 480 HP at the wheels with his tune. He nodded at me and said, "let me take a bit of fuel out of it" and tweaked just the fuel delivery. Next dyno run: 502 HP at the wheels. So, just tweaking that one parameter gained 22 HP at the wheels, and still maintained a flat 12.7 A/F ratio across the power band up to redline. My car maintained factory drivability, but I could spank just about anything that messed with me. Just saying. So yes, there is an abundance of untapped power available in these new motors. Diablosport makes their tunes very conservative in order to prevent having to deal with complaints about blowing up customers cars. A custom tuner can make your lady sing! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Sounds like the guy doing the tuning had better know his stuff if the tune can be taken down to and with these very specific parameters in mind. Also sounds like your guy does know his stuff for sure! So, let's say I got about $400 in the tuner and I want my car completely dialed in on a dyno by someone who knows what he's doing. Have I just more than doubled my $400 initial investment? Just asking?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Every tuner charges differently, of course, depending upon what they want for dyno time, and the extent of changes they do with the tunes. Eric tuned my Mustang for the headers/cams for $400; that included an hour of dyno time to tweak the tune. When my blower was installed, the cost was $500 for the tune and dyno time; a supercharger needs a lot of tweaking due to the amount of boosted air entering the engine, getting the fuel right, etc. Go to brooksspeed dot com to check out Eric. Since your car is a '10, I think he can tune it now; I have to wait until he gets the software to tune the '11 and '12 cars. Don't worry about him being in the FL panhandle; he does remote tuning as well as dyno and email tunes. Tell him Sonny sent ya! You are welcome for the explanation, and thanks for the rep points!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
X2 on da Thanks, you are a great asset to da LIFE! Been trying to keep up with the NEW way to "dial-in" an engine, since jets, timing and plug chops no longer work on this puter-fied (NOT fried, hee hee) engines. Tons of adjustments possible make the tuners job both harder and more time consuming/expensive but the results are much better also as you can dial them very tight BUT safe. Think of the "canned tunes" this way may make it easier to know WHEN you need to get a custom tune instead; let's say the stocks a/F is 11.5, a canned tune will lean it to about 12.5 but that's with stock exhaust manifold. Most shorties, JBA or SRT will increase it to 12.5 on a stock tune, so you add the canned tune and you get very close to 13. The number you don't want to exceed, so if the tune is not adjusted for this you MAY be running lean, and my experience with having to readjust carburetors on Harley's JUST because they are set lean from factory but NOW with 10% alcohol fuel they are running TOO lean, one step richer on jetting fixes the POP that they never had just a few years back cause of fuel.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thank you, sickr bee. I for sure don't claim to be any kind of expert, but I can speak to what I have personal experience with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yo shiftintohigh, I just tweaked the throttle setting with a 5% increase. I'll see how that does on the way to work tonight and will post up my observations. Didn't go too far on the first tweak; wanted to see how it reacts first.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Well! We are waiting! Us 6 speed brothers need to know...............

Thanks for your insight and also much patience, for those of us still living in the '70's! :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I was wondering how you came up with your user name; now I know. The 70's!!! Right there with you, bro. Anyway, the car responds better now. Not as much throttle lag, and she backs down quicker as well. Not by a great margin, but enough to be noticeable. I'll tweak her up another 5% tomorrow; it's getting to be time to get ready for work now. Please be patient with me, because of the hours that I work. I won't let my fellow (old) gearheads down...:eek:ldtimer:

·
Registered
656 Posts
:rockout:YAY! Good outcome! Great to hear!!
Speaking of 70's I was listning to Steve Miller "Fly Like an Eagle" this morning...lol
One of my favorite "8 Tracks". Remenber them... WOW, I love my stero now!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Had that nickname since JR. High=70's. Rhymes with my last name kinda. DeJaynes. You gonna go 5% until you are happy with the results? This topic has my full attention which can be hard at times as I'm usually on here after I finish the graveyard shift making toothpicks out of logs. Know all about the odd hours, bro.

Deb, I always had to jack up the right side of my 8 track tapes with a matchbook to keep 'em from warbling!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Haven't heard that in awhile, Deb. Those were the good old days...BTO, Boston, Bad Company, etc. None of that disco ____ for me!!! I remember buying cheap 8-track players at Dart Drug in VA, the ones you mounted under the dash, and a set of $10 speakers to mount in the back window ledge, and thinking I had just the greatest sound system in the world!

Deranged, that's my plan. Will bump it another 5% tonight and see how that works out. Be careful of what you read; ya may just be sucked into buying ya a tuner!! Matchbooks...yep! As well as other things...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hey folks, I haven't bumped up throttle sensitivty yet. I've worked the last 5 nights in a row, and I'm wore out. I'm off for a week now, and will make some adjustments to report back on. Sorry for keeping you waiting :(

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I am now! I got called in to work a 6th night in a row! Have to make a short road trip today, and I'll report back on the results when I get home this afternoon. As for your comment...I resemble that :eek:ldtimer: Just be glad that you didn't add "ER" to GEEZ!!!:D

21 - 40 of 44 Posts