Portable browser (so you can get your Challenger Life fix from a "locked down" work PC) | Challenger Life Forums

Portable browser (so you can get your Challenger Life fix from a "locked down" work PC)

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Feedback, Tech Support.' started by Houdini, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Houdini

Houdini Platinum Level Supporter

Depending on how "locked down" your work PC is, this may or may not work for everyone.

This is useful if you can't update your work PC's browser to a newer version or can't install a good modern browser i.e Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.

1 - First, download the following file (save it to your desktop or wherever you are able to - just remember where you saved it to) https://challengerlife.com/GoogleChromePortable_12.0.742.100_online.paf.exe

2 - Plug in a USB flash drive (sometimes called a thumb drive or flash drive or USB drive). Make a note of the drive letter it gets assigned (Go to My Computer to find out).

3 - Open the file you downloaded. Follow the instructions, and when it prompts for the location, choose browse then pick your thumb drive (the location should be X:\GoogleChromePortable where X should be your thumb drive i.e. E:\GoogleChromePortable

4 - Once installed, go to your USB drive, and open the GoogleChromePortable folder. Open (double-click) GoogleChromePortable

You now have a modern browser that you can carry in your pocket and plug in to use on virtually any windows computer.

Note: If your "locked down" work computer won't allow you to do steps 1 - 3 above, they can be done at home, or on a computer that will let you. Then just plug your USB drive into your work computer and do step 4 any time you want to use your portable browser. Although it's possible that your work computer won't let you run a program from a USB drive. In that case, find a new job ;)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. Debwal

Debwal Member

Thank you! You rock!:bigcool:
    ====Debbie

3. badboy777

badboy777 New Member

thank you will let you know i figure it out thamks for the help

4. b1gted

b1gted New Member

It is possible that even if you can do all of the above and it still doesn't work, you are probably behind a proxy firewall. Then it would be good to know someone in the IT department or as Houdini said, find a new job. :)