Challenger Life Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Side Mirror LED Blinkers
This thread will teach you how to install blinkers to go on your side mirrors that will blink concurrently with your existing blinkers.

THE FINISHED RESULT:

Tools you will need:
LED light strip (I got mine from AutoZone)
Phillips screwdriver
Wire strippers
Electrical tape
Wire puller/grabber (helpful, but not necessary)
Volt tester

Step 1:
Take off the plastic covers over the headlights/front blinkers (highlighted in red below).

Step 2:
Unplug the blinker connector (highlighted in red below). You have to pull the red tab back to release the connector then pull the plug out.

Step 3:
Use your volt tester to see which wire is positive. If the tab is facing up stick your volt tester into the left hole of the plug, your volt tester should read positive (Shown in the picture below).

I don't remember what color the wire is that you will need to splice into, but if you find the wire that leads out of the hole specified above it is that wire (I think it is the white wire with red stripes pictured below, but you will probably want to test it to make sure). You will need to peel back the plastic wire covering in order to splice into the wire.

Step 4:
Next you will need to take off the door panels. To do so pop off the rivets pictured below by pushing the middle inward with a screwdriver and then pulling the rivet out.

Next you will have to remove some screws (5 total). There is one hidden under a tab behind the door grasp (pictured on left below), three at the bottom of the door, and one more hidden under a tab behind the door handle (pictured on right below).

Now you can pull the door panel off, but don't let go of it. You need to unplug the wire plug and release the bar with the yellow sleeve over it from the plastic piece connecting it to the door panel. This is done by unsnapping the plastic piece from the bar and swiveling it away, then pulling up on the bar.

Step 5:
Next you will have to peel away the "rubbery" material over the door.

Now look through that giant hole in the door and up you will see a set of wires leading up to the mirror and three nuts (shown below by the red arrows). Take these nuts off to remove the mirror.

Step 6:
Run the LED strip's wire through the mirror.

This part is pretty tricky. You have to try to grab the LED wire through a hole in the bottom of the mirror revealed by pulling away the soft material covering the bottom of the mirror. Stick the wire grabbers through the hole and try to aim the wire into the clasps of the grabber then pull the wire through (It helps if you move the actual reflective piece so that you can see the LED wire behind it).

Once this is done run the wire through the hole in the door where the mirror goes. Tape the wire to the existing one that goes to the mirror to make sure that your LED wire doesn't get in the way of your window rolling up and down. Run the wire outside of that huge hole in the door and then lead it directly through the space that leads to under the hood (It really doesn't matter how you run the wire just as long as it's hidden and goes to the blinker plugs from step 2).

Step 7:
Splice the positive wire of the LED strip to the positive wire we found earlier on the blinker plug. Then connect the negative wire of the LED strip to any ground point on your car (I actually just connected the ground wire to a ground spot in the door so I didn't have to lead an extra wire, but you can do it anywhere).

I know this may not be the best write-up in the world (it is my first post on the forums) so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I will do my best to try to explain or I will take some more pictures if words just can't do it.
Last edited by itsmillertime65 : 03-13-2010 at 04:03 PM.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is one seriously good write up and YES millertime has been invited to join us :)

I have already ordered yellow LED arrows to do this one

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
VERY nicely done write up...good explanations with great pictures...way to go.
not a mod I see myself doing but a great set of instructions none the less

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is my weekend project for the first build day - the only thing I am changing is installing a small 4 LED strip BEHIND the mirror - tried it and it gives a GREAT halo effect

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great write up! :)

I've been wanting to do a cheap do it yourself mod, I just haven't had the time. I just found out I'm getting laid off in 3 months. Looks like I'll have some time to try this out! I live in Grapevine, Texas (I'm surrounded by folks who NEVER use their turn signal). This would be a great mod for me. So folks can see very clearly from every angle that I am about to change lanes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts