Challenger Life Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I was planning on having my oil changed tomorrow so I went to Walmart to get my oil as I have always done. When I get there they have no Valvoline synpower sythetic oil---none at all. so I was left with a dilema----- what do I switch to for this oil change, I know I need to stay with synthetic so I bought Castrol Sentec 10w30. I have never run Castrol but have heard that it was pretty good. any comments from the asylum about this? Need to make an oil change early in the morning since I plan on doing the dyno runs tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
It's funny you ask... I was just going to post some Oil Myths. One myth is that once you use synthetic you have to stay with synthetic - that's not true.

You can switch/mix brands and switch/mix synthetic/non-synthetic... they are all compatible.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
It's funny you ask... I was just going to post some Oil Myths. One myth is that once you use synthetic you have to stay with synthetic - that's not true.

You can switch/mix brands and switch/mix synthetic/non-synthetic... they are all compatible.
this is true but it was also not a myth back in the old days, according to an article in a hemmings muscle magazine i had the chemicals that were in the first generation of synthetic oils could cause seals to let go in a car
and this is where that all started.

the oils today are totally mixable from dino to synthetic and back to dino
with no problems.

personally i prefer the castrol for my challenger but have always used
the motorcraft syntec blend in all of my ford trucks.

G

·
I've run Castrol GTX in every motorcycle I've owned including some that fairly routinely hovered around the 10,000 RPM mark and occasionally slightly higher for short periods of time :D

Castrol was actually the recommended brand on one of my hi rpm machines so I figured good enough for 10,000 rpm probably good enough for 5,800.

Having said that, pretty much any of the major brands with the "SM" API rating will be good.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Got my first oil change today at 3K. Dealer put in Mobile 1, seven quarts of Synthetic is alot. Almost a quart for each liter of displacement.
Oil change ran $79 which caught me by surprise.

One more important thing that is off the oil topic but important:

The dealer also removed something called Tinnerman nuts near all the calipers. These "spacers" are used to line up the brake calipers for faster assembly. They were suppose to remove them before the wheels went on. I guess they forgot to tell the new guy on the line that day. At highway speeds, above 80, there was a slight vibration on my car. I mentioned that to them and the service guy knew what it was right away since there is a recent service bulletin on it.
They took all four tires off and removed these Tinnerman spacer nuts.

Here's the bulletin that I got a copy of from the dealer's "notepad".

For 18 inch wheeled 2010 Challengers.

SUBJECT:
Slight Vibration at Highway Speeds
DATE: August 13, 2010
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the removal of all four wheels and the Tinnerman push nuts.
MODELS:
2010 (LC) Challenger

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience vehicle vibrations which are commonly felt in the steering
wheel. A number of vehicles may have been shipped with wheels that do not have the
relief cut to accommodate the Tinnerman push nuts used during vehicle assembly. Dealers
are required to remove all 4 wheels to remove and discard the Tinnerman push nuts that
are used during initial vehicle assembly at the plant.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the vehicle operator experiences the symptom/condition, perform the repair procedure.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
May be posting too late here but as rt6speed said Castrol has been recommended for use in many motorcycles. I used it also for years in motorcycles and one high performance car as well. No worries. Just use name brand oils. I was stuck on Valvoline for awhile but now I buy whatever name brand is on sale or cheapest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts