Challenger Life Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning to purchase the Pypes Street Pro dual exhaust system as the first major modification for my 2010 SE/G. Since I'm working with a somewhat limited budget, I wanted to get what I consider a major mod complete before moving on. While doing my research, I have read about performance gains and performance losses with dual exhausts. One suggestion is to add a CAI (which is also a planned mod as well). Again have read about CAI's doing great things or doing nothing at all. So my fellow Challenger owners, which should come first; the chicken (CAI) or the egg(Exhaust)? :think: Your responses and your time are appriciated.:)

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I'd do the CAI first. But that's me, I'm sure others would do exhaust first.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Well a CAI, both in $$$ and installation time, will be much less than an exhaust.
I would go with that.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
The chicken, will improve u're low end/off line performance, the exhaust will improve the topend. Cut of the elephant resonator and run straight pipe out the rear will improve sound/performance till u decide on a new exhaust setup.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The longer you drive around with the factory exhaust, the longer it will bug you. If you can do either one now, do the exhaust. If you have to save up for months and months to buy anything for the car like I have to, you might get an intake cause it's cheaper and you can get your "mod fix" for a little while. Just consider that the exhaust will change the look, feel and sound of your car while the intake is something no one else will see.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the input. Still deciding but I'll be sure to post the end result. Thanks again.:)

·
Registered
508 Posts
I say go for the CAI. It's alot cheaper, easier and it will get the ball rolling.Keep in mindthat you can also build your own CAI for dirt cheap compaired to buying a set-up. You should be able to build one for around $100...or buy one from $175-300+..ouch.
I'm not sure how the drone is in the SE, but it took me ALOT of research for the RT to find one that had none. Unfortunatley for me, I traded in the car I was doing research for so mine must start over again..lol.Dam it :mad:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I say go for the CAI. It's alot cheaper, easier and it will get the ball rolling.Keep in mindthat you can also build your own CAI for dirt cheap compaired to buying a set-up. You should be able to build one for around $100...or buy one from $175-300+..ouch.
I'm not sure how the drone is in the SE, but it took me ALOT of research for the RT to find one that had none. Unfortunatley for me, I traded in the car I was doing research for so mine must start over again..lol.Dam it :mad:
LOL:lol:I appriciate the advice anyway.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The chicken, will improve u're low end/off line performance, the exhaust will improve the topend. Cut of the elephant resonator and run straight pipe out the rear will improve sound/performance till u decide on a new exhaust setup.
Yes Sir this mod already worked out with 2 delta 40 flowmasters and straight pipe the beast sounds loud and you can feel the power top end.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I put an AEM drop-in filter in my R/T Charger and picked up a mile per gallon or so. I also drilled the airbox. It doesn't have the "cool factor" of a CAI, but it was a whole lot cheaper. I prefer the AEM filter since it doesn't have to be oiled like the K&N.

I'd do the exhaust and a drop-in filter. The exhaust will give you some immediate gratification that you won't get with the CAI, and you may decide you don't want/need a CAI after all once you've driven with this combo for a while.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once again I'd like to thank everyone who responded. I'm going with the exhaust first. Through this forum I have gained an understanding of how the CAI works and what it will do for me. And that is what the majority of you recommended. But I found a deal I could not pass up. On Ebay, Yates Performance is selling the Pypes StreetPro for $510.00 with free shipping. Compared to $733.95 from Pypes or $542.95 from Summit. Should be here in a few days and I will certinly post the results for those who may have the same question. You guys rock!:rockout:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Sounds ( pun intended!), like a good decision/price also! Don't know how it will sound, but I love their/MBRP tips! Really nice match to the rear valace!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Once again I'd like to thank everyone who responded. I'm going with the exhaust first. Through this forum I have gained an understanding of how the CAI works and what it will do for me. And that is what the majority of you recommended. But I found a deal I could not pass up. On Ebay, Yates Performance is selling the Pypes StreetPro for $510.00 with free shipping. Compared to $733.95 from Pypes or $542.95 from Summit. Should be here in a few days and I will certinly post the results for those who may have the same question. You guys rock!:rockout:
Nice choice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice choice.
:)Thanks. For anyone who is interested, the Yatesperformance Ebay store just exended the sale. Question for wickedmpulse: I took a look at your garage and saw the Mopar CAI. How do you like it? Very nice car by the way!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is that the single set up straight out? Or is it the dual set up? Pypes from my reasearch seems like a great setup:drinkingbuddies:

·
Registered
110 Posts
:)Thanks. For anyone who is interested, the Yatesperformance Ebay store just exended the sale. Question for wickedmpulse: I took a look at your garage and saw the Mopar CAI. How do you like it? Very nice car by the way!
Thanks! I like the Mopar CAI because it looks really good under the hood. It's just the first piece of the puzzle to get this car running nice. I ordered my exhaust system about 3 weeks ago from Summit but it's on backorder until at least May 6th now (was supposed to be April 30th)...so annoying

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! I like the Mopar CAI because it looks really good under the hood. It's just the first piece of the puzzle to get this car running nice. I ordered my exhaust system about 3 weeks ago from Summit but it's on backorder until at least May 6th now (was supposed to be April 30th)...so annoying
I hope you get it sooner than that. Thanks for the reply!:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts