Challenger Life Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tire Pressure Monitoring System

TPMS TIPS

Q: WILL The TPMS sensors will swap over fine on rim/tire changes?
A: Yes, provided the new rim is designed for/or accomodating to TPMS sensors..

Q: Are all Dodge TPMS sensors the same?
A: No. Beginning in 2008, TPMS sensor systems became "Auto Learn" and have had multiple different operating frequencies, depending on vehicle model. This became more uniform in 2009 with 433mhz type TPMS sensors.

Q: Why can't I adjust my sensitivity/settings on my TPMS alarms?
A: US DOT Regulatory requirements. See below.

US DOT REGS FOR TPMS (2008+)

The U.S. regulations for monitoring tire pressures applies to light duty trucks and passenger vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 4536 kg or less.

A warning light on the dash must indicate to the driver there is a low tire whenever a tire pressure drops to 25% below the rated cold tire inflation pressure recommendations for that vehicle. The system must provide this warning within 20 minutes of when a tire pressure drops below the specified pressure.

Finally, the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) must turn on a warning if the system or one of the tire pressure sensors has a malfunction.

Q: What would happen if you ran wheels without TPMS installed? I read in the owners manual about running a spare without it, but shat about if you were to get four wheels w/ winter tires to run in the winter? Do you have to have TPMS? Will it hurt anything to run wheels w/o sensors? Thanks for any info.

A: Keep in mind that the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System) is just that. A full monitoring system. The tire pressure transmitter is mounted inside the wheel/tire (each tire has one sensor/transmitter) and the receiver is in the vehicle cabin. It receives a "radio" type signal from each transmitter and then decides to light up the "dash indicator" warning light if needed for a low pressure or problem condition.

Running wheels/tires without sensors means that the TPMS receiver will get no tire data. Getting no tire data means that it will light the TPMS system problem light on your dash.

This warning light will not prevent the car from being driven but will not go out until the TPMS system is back fully functioning and tires are in pressure spec.

Your owners manual speaks to this:

Here is a paragraph from the owners manual on TPMS pg. 167

Your vehicle has also been equipped with a TPMS malfunction indicator to indicate when the system is not operating properly. The TPMS malfunction indicator is combined with the low tire pressure telltale. When the system detects a malfunction, the telltale will flash for approximately one minute and then remain continuously illuminated. This sequence will continue upon subsequent vehicle start-ups as long as the malfunction exists.

When the malfunction indicator is illuminated, the system may not be able to detect or signal low tire pressure as intended. TPMS malfunctions may occur for a variety of reasons, including the installation of replacement or alternate tires or wheels on the vehicle that prevent the TPMS from functioning properly. Always check the TPMS malfunction telltale after replacing one or more tires or wheels on your vehicle, to ensure that the replacement or alternate tires and wheels allow the TPMS to continue to function properly.

CAUTION!
The TPMS has been optimized for the original equipment tires and wheels. TPMS pressures and warning have been established for the tire size equipped on your vehicle. Undesirable system operation or sensor damage may result when using replacement equipment that is not of the same size, type, and/or style. Aftermarket wheels can cause sensor damage. Do not use tire sealant from a can, or balance beads if your vehicle is equipped with a TPMS, as damage to the sensors may result.

A FEW TIPS:

1. Make sure you purchase TPMS rebuild kits. (should only be a few dollars each).

The rebuild kits replace a few rubber grommets, the valve cap and the valve core.
These parts need to be replaced anytime you move your TPMS sensors from one
wheel to another. It is also recommended to install the TPMS rebuild kits anytime
you replace your tires.

2. Metal valve caps are bad.

A lot of people replace their plastic TPMS valve caps with Metal chrome ones.
Do not do this. If you want chrome valve caps make sure they are TPMS friendly
and are actually plastic. Metal valve caps will quickly destroy your TPMS sensors.
This is due to "galvanic corrosion" from dissimilar metals as the valve stem is part
of the transmitter antenna system.

Replacing a TPMS sensor because of a "minor thing" like this, does not make anyone happy.

Happy Modding!

·
Super Moderator
5,442 Posts
yea, I know these things can be expensive. I had a 2007 Chevy truck that had TPMS valve stems. and the price on thise if you ruined one was about $85 a piece

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
WOW, I had no idea about the changing of the valve caps. It was something I was going to do shortly. Certainly glad I read most all of these posts, even if they don't seem interesting at first. You NEEVR know what little tid-bits your gonna pick up along the way. Thanks Latenite!
agentorange

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I found some plastic MOPAR caps on Amazon.com. They are chromed and have the Blue Mopar "M". They go nice with the DWB and the chrome clad 20's. Haven't had any problems with the TPMS. Let's hope it stays that way!:D

·
Super Moderator
5,442 Posts
Rex, can you post a link, so we can see what these baby's look like?

·
Premium Member
40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,442 Posts
Thanks bro, they do look good!! :cool: :thumbupright:

·
Super Moderator
5,442 Posts
just ordered me a set of those, best looking ones I have seen so far. not a bad price either.:thumbupright:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts