true duals for my se? | Challenger Life Forums

true duals for my se?

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by vikingdodge17, Oct 13, 2010.

1. vikingdodge17

vikingdodge17 New Member

i have been looking around for a nice sounding exhaust and I think i have found the right one, but i have heard that true duals have some negatives? im just looking for opinions, should i get true duals or something else, any advice is appreciated!

2. IntimidatorR/T

IntimidatorR/T Challenger Life Moderator Staff Member Ride of the Month

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  3. sickr bee

sickr bee Well-Known Member

The only real negative is the fact we have different( and 1 gal smaller ) fuel tanks on the SE so you have to use a "stick-on" heat shield for the left side fuel tank and CANT use the R/T or SRT heat shield. Which is what many do, but I was a little to paranoid of that, so I went with the Magnaflow system that was 2 to 1 to 2 after the axle. If you get the number for it, check Autoanything.com, with the sales they run, I got that $1300 system for bout $800 even, but still dropped the resos, them things are quiet! Anyway you can install the R/T exhaust but you have to remove your 2.25" hookup points to midpipes, and install/weld to the R/Ts as they are 2.5" pipes. Changing the rear VALANCE I know all here will agree, is the hardest part of going duals! Royal PITA that was! Mark

4. GHOSTDANCE

GHOSTDANCE New Member

San Antonio Texas/Edinburgh Scotland/Puebla Mexico
    actually a true dual setup robs the SE of low end torque - viking - wait until you hear the custom setup of GHOST before going to true duals

5. vikingdodge17

vikingdodge17 New Member

thank you all for the advice :D

that is one of my concerns with the true dual set up, i want a nice rumble but i would rather not lose torque to get it, cant wait to hear GHOST in action!

6. IntimidatorR/T

are you wanting to race it or just drive it?? I dont beleive I have lost any power with mine, and in fact mine seems to run better. I have a predator tuner and a full CAI installed now. it has been on the dyno and charted at 190hp at the RW. fixin to go back to the dyno next month when it gets cooler to see what numbers I can get since I didnt have the predator tuner or CAI on the car back when I did it the first time.

7. vikingdodge17

vikingdodge17 New Member

im just lookin to drive it, racing isnt my goal as of now. make sure you let me know what kind of numbers you get, sounds very interesting :D

8. IntimidatorR/T

well with the duals, I have a track video also on my you tube archives. at that time with the 18's and no predator I ran 16.6 in all four runs I attempted, that was last year. so I hope this year when I go it will improve.

9. vikingdodge17

vikingdodge17 New Member

very nice! thanks for the videos by the way, impressive:layrubber:

10. S/S Dodge

S/S Dodge New Member

i completely disagree with this statement. i have the R/T 6-speed system on mine. it is the best. small bottle mufflers give plenty of clearance by the gas tank. i also have the fastest 0-60 time with a 6.62 seconds. until an SE with a single exhaust can touch that time, don't say you lose power with duals. simply not true. the 6-speed system is absolutely perfect. don't change anything on it, don't change the mufflers and don't remove the resonators.

i have the quickest SE (6.62 0-60) and the best mileage SE (26mpg city) all in one. i know what works and i know what i'm doing.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  11. demonbydesign

demonbydesign New Member

Do yourself a huge favor. DON'T go racing.

highly addictive = mo money

12. vikingdodge17

vikingdodge17 New Member

^ this is very interesting, how is the sound overall? im looking for something that sounds mean :p
    i probably wont, i would probably with my luck end up crashing :swerve:

13. idmtfirefighter

idmtfirefighter Well-Known Member

I guess I'm just too cheap, err value minded, and went with a simple reso delete.
    So far I have been very happy and will eventually, when I get around to it, putting on the jones full boar muffler per ghosts recommendation

14. Hemiwoman

Hemiwoman New Member

I have not lost any low end torque with my long tube headers & dual exhaust. I race my SE all the time. My first pass ever with car bone stock was 16.05 on 3/27/10. On 10/17/10 I ran 15.05 @ 93.27mph. I do have 3.64 gears, mopar cai and custom tune. I plan on being in the high 14's by the end of the season.

Go ahead and put the dual exhaust on your car, you won't be sorry. BTW, I still get good mileage with the gear swap and tune.

As far as I can tell from different forums, I have the fastest V6 Challenger around in the 1/4 mile. I don't do 0-60, so I can't compare with S/S Dodge on that.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  15. vikingdodge17

vikingdodge17 New Member

all i can say is WOW! Love the set up of ghost! Would love to do that to mine as well :D

16. Blackdodge

Blackdodge New Member

Like Tony, I just installed the RT 6 speed dual exhaust. It has a nice deep tone under acceleration but is nice and quiet at highway speeds, plus it looks great!!! I also added a K&N air filter in the stock air box.

I don't feel any loss of power..it actually feels a bit stronger but that could just be the cool sound...lol.

Steve

17. GHOSTDANCE

GHOSTDANCE New Member

18. Blackdodge

Blackdodge New Member

Tony has the same system as mine, the 6 speed RT exhaust. It's after the engine pipes. The factory Cats are still on the engine pipes (one on each). So after the two engine pipes there are two "bottle mufflers" and then 2 resonators. The engine pipes end under the drivers seat....that's so far back that I doubt it has any negative effects on backpressure.

And Tony backs up his claim with some impressive 0 to 60 times.

In any case...it really is a cosmetic issue.... and I felt no loss of power.

19. GHOSTDANCE

GHOSTDANCE New Member

if this is the system you installed - please do thread search on CTalk for all of the numerous threads showing that the SE loses low end torque and power by installing these pipes. There is even a post back somewhere on the SRT engineering live talk with the engineers saying that the system would do so.

Attached Files:

20. Blackdodge

Blackdodge New Member

No Ghost, that's the automatics "suit case" mufflers. Here's the install on mine (like Tony's) https://challengerlife.com/showthread.php/2062-RT-Exhaust-Added-to-My-SE-W-Pics

This is also not the SRT exhaust which is 3 inches. It's the 2 1/2" RT exhaust. Without before and after dyno runs it's probably hard to say but from a seat of the pants feel...it seems the same and sounds great!!

Been to the Ctalk forum as well...mixed results but it does seem that those with SRT exhaust are the only ones that experienced a possible drop off.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010