Challenger Life Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
I searched and didn't find a thread on this so... here's my take on using a clay bar.

I had heard of using a clay bar on a car but never really explored it to any degree. I guess I just chalked it up to mystery smoke or yet another gimmick passed down by urban legend and by "friends of a friend who told me".

I was at a car show one day and got to talking to a guy that had a stunning paint job on a show car and he talked about "claying" his car.

Weeks later, one rainy Saturday I searched around the Internet for this clay bar thing and ran across some interesting video's, the best of which I've added later to this thread.

I've always thought the best way to get someone's attention is with a picture. Here's a picture of my SE after I "clayed" it. Note the detail and clarity of the reflection:

I wished I had taken a before picture but I didn't expect the results to be this stunning. I was still skeptical of the clay thing. The details on how to do this are in the video below. I followed those instructions except that when I got done I waxed the car with Zymol ($20ish from Autozone).

In this video the guy talks about a sandpaper feel in the paint even after washing it. This was true of my SE that was less than a month old with less than 5K on the clock.

Without further ado... here is the best video I've seen demonstrating the what and how of "claying".

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Thanks brother, been putting this off.... forever, but going to do this now! I'll take some pictures, but will have to upload later.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
:goodpost:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks brother, been putting this off.... forever, but going to do this now! I'll take some pictures, but will have to upload later.
Something I forgot to mention that is interesting. Wash your car real good and before you clay it get a plastic sandwich bag and put your hand in it and gently slide across the paint. You'll be amazed at what you feel before and after.

On both of my Challengers the sandwich bag thing made it feel like I was dragging my hand across 100 grit sandpaper. After claying it felt like glass.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
After watching the video, one thing to add that I learned on the forums; put down a clean towel on ground under where your working, cause if you DROP the clay on the ground, it's ruined! Also have read to wash the car with Dawn dishsoap first.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
cool - getting GHOST clayed before May 15 show - glad it makes a difference :clap:

put the video in the video how to section in DIY

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also have read to wash the car with Dawn dishsoap first.
If you do wash with Dawn, be prepared to put some type of wax/polish back on the finish after claying. Dawn is often used to strip a polish off down to the clear coat. Make sure to lube the clay well and do a final wash after clay but before polish.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Looks great.
I wish I had the time in my life to spend a day detailing my car.
I will have to settle for weekly Johns Premium Car wash trips and every other month Meguires wax job

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Looks great.
I wish I had the time in my life to spend a day detailing my car.
I will have to settle for weekly Johns Premium Car wash trips and every other month Meguires wax job
I have to settle for semi-monthly Wash Tub Premium wash and the 3 month clay job!!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE MY BR0THER!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know where to get single clay bars...not in a kit?

I have always used the Mequiers clay bar kit that comes with quick detailer and 2 bars...but I have now enough quick detailer to swim in and just want to buy some bars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did a quick search and found a link to a detailing supply site that has clay alone. Not sure what size is in the kits but this site has a couple different sizes.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/auto-detailing-clay-bar.html

Never ordered from here so no clue as to how good or bad they might be as a vendor.
Thanks for that. I searched and saw several online vendors selling that 3 bar pack....for 19.99 you get 3 Mequier clay bars...however for 17.99 you can get the 2 bar kit with 2 bottles of cleaner/detailer at any autostore. They need to make it 12.99 or less to make it worthwhile. Eventually the 3 bar packs will make it to the corner autostores and maybe get cheaper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How many uses can you get out of a clay bar?
Quite a few, unless you drop it or something. Generally if the car has been cleaned really well the stuff the clay bar picks up is microscopic. As long as you can mend/fold the bar and have a clean flat area you're good to go.

If you drop the bar and pick up some rocks throw the bar away.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quite a few, unless you drop it or something. Generally if the car has been cleaned really well the stuff the clay bar picks up is microscopic. As long as you can mend/fold the bar and have a clean flat area you're good to go.

If you drop the bar and pick up some rocks throw the bar away.
Roger that, thanks.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Finally have done 90% of car, have front/rear left to do! Removed hood logo, washed with the usual soap, dried yesterday. Claybarred/rewaxed with Ice, it is smoother, but nothing is gonna pull all the underpaint trash out. After owning/waxing the car for soon to be two years now, pretty much know where every little underpaint mountain is, the reason I keep putting off installing hoodstripes, as the paint reflects so well in the sun, you can't see the trash! So now after I finish, I'll have to re-install the new hood logo, snap a bunch of pictures! I had another logo made, thats the opposite of what I had ( in avatar), like the super bees, the new one has the bee/words in vinyl, with a pinstipe circle around as I WAS going to cutout/drop into the red strobe hoodstripes, that I'm not going to install now. Wonder if anyone who saw the car last year will notice? Anyway, thanks for the motivating post, as I believe I bought the kit for the Rumble Bee, I traded on the Challenger, so yeah, clay doesn't go bad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What do you do about decals? Can claybar be used on decals? I have R/T stipes on the car...

Great post! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts