Challenger Life Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was going to take photos and do a How-To for installing the sequential turn signals, but WebElectric's instructions are so well done, it seemed pointless.

For Drake sequentials, see here http://challengerlife.com/showthread.php?t=1117

The following is from their site @ http://www.webelectricproducts.com

Installing the STS-4CH 2008+ Dodge Challenger
Sequential Turn Signal System
__________________________________________________________________________________________

The STS-4CH is an exciting addition to your 2008+ Dodge Challenger. This Plug-N-Play system comes complete with pre-wired harnesses and associated wiring. There is no need to modify any fixtures or connectors -- you can competely return to stock at any time. On a stock Challenger, only the fender lamps function as brake/turn/tail light lamps. The lamps on the trunk lid only function as tail lights. The STS-4CH kit converts the trunk lights into full brake/turn/tail lights that allow sequencing of all four sections.
Our product features Smart-Sequence technology -- a WebElectric Products exclusive! Your tail light sequence only when a turn signal is on. When you apply the brakes, all lamps come on at once.
INSTALLATION - FENDER TAIL LIGHT FIXTURE - RIGHT SIDE
1) Remove the side panel above the tail light fixture by pulling the top toward the middle of the car.

2) Remove one plastic wing nut that holds the trunk liner. Peel the liner back to expose the harness connector. Slide the red locking tab out to unlock the harness connector, push the cam lock and carefully pull the connector off of the fixture.

3) Remove the other wing nut that holds the tail light fixture. Remove the fixture and set it on a shop rag.
4) Looking at the rear of the fixture, remove the right side socket (furthest from the connector) and remove the #3157 lamp. Set the lamp aside. Select a socket pigtail from the kit (either one -- they are both the same). Install the lamp into the socket and install the socket into the vacant hole in the fixture.

5) Route the pigtail connector under the fixture gasket so that the wires are against the plastic fixture and NOT the metal car fender. Secure the wires inside the wire guide on the fixture.

6) Place one supplied cap over the empty socket as shown below. Make sure it's on correctly and completely seals the socket.

7) Insert the fixture back into the car and set the covered socket in the opening under the fender and orient it so the cap is UP. Secure the fixture with one wing nut. When re-mounting the fixture into the car, be careful not to pinch any of the wires on the frame or mounting studs!

INSTALLATION - FENDER TAIL LIGHT FIXTURE - LEFT SIDE
Repeat the procedure on the left side of the car. If you have a sub-woofer installed, unplug it, remove the 10mm bolt and rock the sub-woofer to release the Velcro on the bottom of the unit.
INSTALLATION - SEQUENTIAL HARNESS
8) Find the sequential harness, unwrap it and orient as shown. Note the right side has an additional connector on it (circled).

9) On the left side of the car, connect the Challenger harness to the mating connector on the left side of the sequential harness. Connect the remaining connectors to the fixture and the new socket pigtail.
10) Stretch the harness wire to the right side of the car and make the connections there. You will have one open connector -- the one circled in the picture above. Hide the 2-conductor wire under the lift-up trunk compartment.
REMOVAL - TRUNK TAIL LIGHT FIXTURE
11) Remove the side panels by pulling down. Remove two T-20 Torx screws that secure the outboard ends of the trunk light panel (one on each side). These screws are found under the trunk lid about 2" inboard of the Phillips screws. Do not remove the Phillips screws from the tail light panel.

12) Remove four wing nuts (A) from the back side of the tail light. Remove 2 push pins (B) from the bottom of the panel.

13) Carefully pull the tail light panel away from the trunk lid. This bad boy is really held in tight, so you will have to pull HARD. Grasp one side with your fingertips and jerk it. Make sure you don't lose control, or you will pull the wiring out of the car! Unplug the connector and take the fixture to a work surface.
INSTALLATION - TRUNK LID TAIL LIGHT HARNESS
14) Set the tail light panel on a shop rag with the sockets facing you. Orient the panel as if you are looking at the panel from inside the trunk. The left side of the panel will be on your right.
15) Remove the connector from the panel using a large screwdriver. Press lightly as shown and twist. The connector will slide off leaving the retainer in the fixture.

16) Remove the sockets from the fixture and pull the harness away. Find the new trunk harness, unwrap it and swap the light bulbs, one for one, from the old sockets to the new sockets.
17) Starting from your right, insert the sockets of the new harness into the fixtures, noting that the left sockets labeled "L1" and "L2" are on your right, and the right sockets labeled "R2" and R1" are on your left. As you install the harness, insert the wires into the wire guides that are built into the fixture (see circle).

18) At the center of the fixture, do the following:
A) Slide the OEM style connector onto the retaining clip until it clicks.
B) Route the sequential connector to the right side of the mounting pin.

19) On the inside of the trunk lid, pull 2 push pins and remove the cover over the locking mechanism.
20) On the trunk lid, there is a hole to the left of the OEM harness connector. Remove the tape from the hole.

21) Carry the trunk light panel to the trunk lid. Insert the sequential connector into the hole and press the grommet into position. Make sure it is seated all the way around.

22) Connect the OEM harness plugs together. Orient and snap the taillight panel back into position making sure you do not pinch any of the wires on the frame or mounting studs.
23) Find the new 4-wire trunk cable and connect one end to the new sequential connector on the inside of the trunk lid.
24) Route this new cable along the trunk harness to the hinge, around the hinge, along the side of the fender and make your way to the right side sequential harness. Hide the cable behind the side panels.
25) Plug the other end of the 4-wire cable into the mating connector on the right side of the sequential harness.
TESTING
Before fastening the fixtures in place, start the car, turn on each signal and check to see that the lamps sequence from the inside of the car to the outside. If something isn't working, double check the connections.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great writeup...I figured this was a project out of my skill range but now I think it's something I could do.
Thanks...
Following the instructions, a caveman could do it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
AFTER TWO ATTEMPRS, STEP BY STEP FORWARD AND BACKWARD, BOTH TIMES I HAD FAST FLASH. DBL, TRIPLE CHECKED ALL CONNECTIONS AND BULBS.. :doh: HELP, IS IT ME? WEBELECTRICS SEQUENTIAL LIGHTS. PUT IT BACK TO FACTORY, ITS ALL GOOD.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AFTER TWO ATTEMPRS, STEP BY STEP FORWARD AND BACKWARD, BOTH TIMES I HAD FAST FLASH. DBL, TRIPLE CHECKED ALL CONNECTIONS AND BULBS.. :doh: HELP, IS IT ME? WEBELECTRICS SEQUENTIAL LIGHTS. PUT IT BACK TO FACTORY, ITS ALL GOOD.
What do mean by fast flash? Were the front blinking faster? Were the rears sequential, and all bulbs coming on?

Mine worked on the first attempt. I was very careful to follow instructions exactly. I even looked at the filaments in the bulbs before removing from harness so that they went into the new harness facing the same direction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.