Challenger Life Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new RT manual last Thursday. The saleman told me to use mid-grade fuel only and not to use premium. This weekend thumbing through the manual, I saw that Dodge reccomends mid-grade for RT's with auto trans, and premium grade for manual transmision. What do you guys run in your RT's?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I use 93. But only because the station I use only has 87, 89, and 93. Otherwise I'd use 91.

The manual says "The 3.5L and 5.7L engine (with automatic
transmission) is designed to meet all emissions
regulations and provide satisfactory
fuel economy and performance
when using
high-quality unleaded gasoline having
an octane range of 87 to 89."

"The 5.7L engine (with manual transmission)
is designed to meet all emissions
regulations and provide excellent fuel
economy and performance
when using
high-quality premium unleaded gasoline
with an octane rating of 91 or higher."

I added the underlining and bold text.

The way I see it, IMO, it's acceptable to use 89 (with the auto trans) but 91 is desirable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm driving a 2010 6-speed like yours and I use 93 if its available but mostly 91 as that is all I can find usually. I'd say 90% of what goes in is 91 octane.

I'm not particularly worried about the difference between 91 and 93 as the computers in cars now can detect pre-detonation (knock) and retard the timing enough to prevent the kind of damage pre-detonation can cause.

You should be fine with 91.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think the quality is even more important than the octane rating. (assuming you are meeting the minimum octane rating that is recommended)

I use Shell exclusively in TX. Would probably use Sunoco too if it was available. Never had a pinging problem in my 98 Supercharged Grand Prix and that is testimate to that gas. On the other hand, my ex used Mobil all the time in a Ford Explorer that we had years ago and it got to be where it would ping very badly. This happened after a few years of ownership. Needless to say, I would never use that gas.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I run premium in my 5 spd. I tried mid grade but the car likes premium, I even get better milage when I can keep my foot out of it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts