Challenger Life Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AFAIK, none of the tune vendors are near me, so I'm going to have to rely on a tune without a dyno. At the moment, I plan to keep the stock exhaust and add a Mopar CAI. Are the tunes for the 2010 6-speeds perfected yet? Who has the best tuning ability? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
DCX Depot has a good rep for their email tunes. I'll let you know how mine does when I get home & put it in. Hopeing to get to try it out at the track on the 11th.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I still think once you get the engine combos you want, the best is a dyno tune. The last mod performance-wise I will do in a while is a new 3-inch exhaust system, then bite the rather large bullet and get it tuned on Eddie's dyno. I want every last ounce of what my 5.7 will give me.

Jack(that's the way John Wayne woulda done it) G.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
You are probably right the Jack JW G. What kinda $$$ are they getting for a dyno tune? I'm like you, I want all it's got to give, just before craping out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I spent around 6+ hours with Modern Muscle on the dyno developing the tune for my blower installation. Then another 3 weeks readjusting the PCM open & closed loop parameters of a few functions to eliminate the mil codes that were, by and large, meaningless. The behavior of the engine moves out of the standard parameter range and this needs to be redefined.

The real issue here is the MM techs knew what they were doing. Having a dyno doesn't mean they know how to tune Mopars.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, guys, re-read my first post:

AFAIK, none of the tune vendors are near me, so I'm going to have to rely on a tune without a dyno. At the moment, I plan to keep the stock exhaust and add a Mopar CAI. Are the tunes for the 2010 6-speeds perfected yet? Who has the best tuning ability? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here.

I may get lucky and run across a dyno at some point, but for right now I need to know who has the best non-dyno tune.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Probably a Diablo Sport (Predator, Trinity, etc) 93 octane CAI tune would be what you are looking for.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Probably a Diablo Sport (Predator, Trinity, etc) 93 octane CAI tune would be what you are looking for.
Houdini is on target. You haven't made sufficient performance modifications to warrant (cost wise ) anything else. The Predator will give you options that work nicely and if you do add higher performance equipment then the tune can be stored in your Predator.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I need to rephrase my question, or maybe my understanding of the tuners is not correct. I want a Predator, but does it matter who I buy it from? Do they all use the same canned tunes, or does each vendor put their own spin on the tunes? In the past, with my Mustangs, the vendors made a specific tune to match my car with the particular mods that I had. Some vendors had a rep for sending better tunes than others, even though they all used the same SuperChips tuner.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think I need to rephrase my question, or maybe my understanding of the tuners is not correct. I want a Predator, but does it matter who I buy it from? Do they all use the same canned tunes, or does each vendor put their own spin on the tunes? In the past, with my Mustangs, the vendors made a specific tune to match my car with the particular mods that I had. Some vendors had a rep for sending better tunes than others, even though they all used the same SuperChips tuner.
Buy it from the vendor with the best price and make sure you get the interface kit to download updates. There are three standard tunes from Diablosports
and the ability to change various parameters like wheel size.

They all used the same canned tune, but depending when you buy the Predator it may not be the most current version. This you update from Diablosports.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
All predators are loaded with the same tunes. DCX and I'm sure some other venders also sell custom tunes. You plug in the predator and record data by giving some WOT runs, usual cruising, up and down hills, etc. Once done, you send the vender your datalog an they will change perameters to get the most out of your car w/o using a dyno.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All predators are loaded with the same tunes. DCX and I'm sure some other venders also sell custom tunes. You plug in the predator and record data by giving some WOT runs, usual cruising, up and down hills, etc. Once done, you send the vender your datalog an they will change perameters to get the most out of your car w/o using a dyno.
Thanks, Chris. THAT answers my question!

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I agree with you to a point Matrix, just because they have a dyno doesn't mean they have specific knowlege about your car. Luckily, Eddie at SHR knows Mopars, that's pretty much all he works on and was a tech with Mercedes-Benz before striking out on his own.As well as doing the S/C tune on Jason's car, he has also done the work on the Cult Energy Challenger and can tune even the earliest fuel injection systems such as Hilborn. I also understand just because one owns a brake lathe doesn't mean I would trust him with the brakes on my Challenger. I'm way picky about who if anyone touches my car, which is the reason I do as much myself as I can.

Jack

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with you to a point Matrix, just because they have a dyno doesn't mean they have specific knowlege about your car. ...... .........I'm way picky about who if anyone touches my car, which is the reason I do as much myself as I can.
Jack
Of course your right Jack, I should have been more clear with that comment.
It was simply intended as a caveat. However, as it turns out, only a select group of tuners can actually work with modern Mopars and do a proper job.
All this is courtesy of Daimler and the complexity of their PCM code and their reluctance to release any information. It took quite a while to work with the variable valve timing on the 5.7. While true in the general sense it is especially true for modern Mopars.

Caveat : Specifically make sure the tuner you pick understands and has a proven track record with tuning modern Mopars.

Just consider it a Ghost Busters safety tip.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I think I need to rephrase my question, or maybe my understanding of the tuners is not correct. I want a Predator, but does it matter who I buy it from? NO Do they all use the same canned tunes,YES Diablo Can Tunes or does each vendor put their own spin on the tunes? NOT IN THE PREDATOR In the past, with my Mustangs, the vendors made a specific tune to match my car with the particular mods that I had. Some vendors had a rep for sending better tunes than others, even though they all used the same SuperChips tuner.
I know Chris has answered you question, but here is a little more.
1. Buy a Predator U7135 from any vendor (Best Price) and get the USB to serial & power adapter. They are usually about $35 -40. BUT you can use THIS and THIS. I've seen a couple of vendors offer the adapters free.
2. Choose a vendor for custom CMR tune. DCX (from what I've seen) is the most popular & lots of folks are happy with them. I'm using them.
3. Load any of the canned tunes that you want. Your STOCK tune (Original Backup) will be backed up to the Predator.
4. Hook Predator to your computer & download STOCK (Original Backup) tune to it.
5. Email it to your choice of vendors. Tell them your mods to the car.
6. They will tweak it some & send it back. ( I call it a starter custom tune.)
7. Load it to the Predator. Then load it to you car.
8. Like Chris said. Now do some data logging with the Predator hooked up.
9. Download the data logs to your computer & email it to the vendor. They will dial in your tune from what they see on the logs. With DCX you get 3 revisoins.
All of the tools needed to download tunes & data logs to computer can be found HERE.
I'm at #9 on my custom tune & can give you more info after April 11th. I hope I covered everthing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks DC, great info!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts