Challenger Life Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just installed the Xpel headlight protection film (not really a film though. It's pretty thick). I went with the smoked tint.

To make it easy I removed the headlight trim. Looking at the top from under the hood, it looked like the same tab type mounting as the trim ring around the shifter, so I gave it a shot.

The top 1/2 was hard to pull off but I knew it would come off (or so I believed). The bottom was even harder, or seemed like it, and I almost gave up thinking it may be mounted differently on the bottom. But I held my breath and kept pulling. Once one side of the bottom came loose, I knew the rest would. The hard part is pulling straight out without feeling like you are going to break something or rip a fingernail off.

After getting it off, you can see there is some unnecessary design to the headlight assembly.... almost like they had intended to have the area between the lights exposed rather than looking like two separate lights.

The "film" went on very easy. They recommend a hair dryer to warm it as you go, but since these lights are near flat compared to most modern headlights, I just put them on the dash in the sun with the windows up for awhile. Then followed the directions - spraying with an alcohol/water solution, applying and squeegeeing <- spell check didn't mind that word :)

Haven't decided if I am going to do the fog lights (The kit came with them also).

BTW, they also have clear if you are just looking for headlight protection and don't care for the tint. I wanted both protection and tint.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
cooool - I was HOPING that headlight surround came off - no looseness when you popped it back in??

GREAT JOB :clap:

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snapped right back on... no looser than it was.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I removed the tinted and replace with clear XPEL.

I like the looks of the tinted, but it does kind of take away from the classic looks of the front end.
I also put in the stealth turn signal bulbs.... no more orange centers when the lights are off.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You are a modding brother, put it on, take it off, try something different! Like the stealth turn/parks also, tho I usually have the parks on when driving, as folks don't seem to judge your speed/distance well when you have black car/bike! But look more like the second headlight when parked/off. Would like to get the switching color/LED ones but lack funds right now.:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I left me clear Xpel on and went with a thin tint over the top. I did my fogs lights last year. I did not want to go over with the Plexiglas panels as I too think the headlights are the coolest part of the retro look. Cheers! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts